Grant Golub

July 24th, 2020

Making the Most of Your First Weeks at LSE

Grant Golub

July 24th, 2020

Before we know it, the new academic year will be upon us. Starting university for your bachelor’s or master’s degree can be scary or intimidating, especially during a global pandemic. But if you’re coming to London in September to start a new degree, I want to offer some advice on how to make the most of your first weeks at LSE.

Making Friends in Your Hall of ResidenceĀ 

During the first few weeks of my master’s degree at LSE, someone told me your closest friends would be the ones you made in your hall of residence if you were living in one. I quickly discovered this was absolutely true for me. When we first moved in, the hall hosted meet and greet events every night the first week. I went to every single one of them, and it was a fantastic way to meet new people and friends. Every hall will likely do this, albeit now in a modified format due to COVID-19, and I highly recommend you take advantage of these events.

Attend the Departmental Events

For all degree programmes, there will be mandatory departmental events you need to go to in order to be inducted into your programme. But, there will also be optional events your department will host for students to get acquainted. This is a great way to meet other students in your programme and meet some of the professors and other faculty members in your department. This is another wonderful way to meet new people and take advantage of your first weeks at LSE.

Go to the Activities Fair

When I started my master’s degree, one of the best decisions I made was attending the activities fair, where nearly all LSE clubs and student societies have booths to introduce new students to what they do. While it is likely to be different this upcoming year, you should attend whatever they hold. Not only can you meet some great people, but you also can learn all about the different extracurricular activities on campus and find something that appeals to you. It is important to find your place on campus outside the classroom, and this is a great first step toward that goal and building a life at LSE.

Grant Golub

My name is Grant Golub and I'm a PhD candidate in the Department of International History at LSE. My research focuses on US foreign relations and grand strategy, diplomatic history, and Anglo-American relations.

Posted In: Student life | Student Life: Advice