Ebun Omilaju

August 4th, 2020

London’s Best Pancake House: Eat Out Help Out

Estimated reading time: 3.5 minutes

Ebun Omilaju

August 4th, 2020

Estimated reading time: 3.5 minutes

For the first time ever in UK history, the government has rolled out a scheme called Eat Out Help Out. From the 3rd – 31st August 2020 over 72,000 participating restaurants, cafés, bars or pubs will offer diners 50% off their meals between every Monday to Wednesday. This discount applies to eat-in food or non-alcoholic drinks, with a maximum discount of up to £10 per diner.

I was particularly excited to find that some of my favourite restaurants made the cut! But I am here to talk to you about one spot, in particular, My Old Dutch. This restaurant is a Dutch-inspired Pancake House. I used to live in Amsterdam, so dining at this restaurant somewhat takes me back. Each table comes with the famous Van Glise Schenkstroop De Originele (Dutch Syrup) and they have a delicious range of Poffertjes (mini Dutch pancakes).

The menu has everything pancakes, sweet, savoury, butterscotch – you name it! My Old Dutch also offers Lite Options which are smaller portions, all under 450 calories and Vegan Pancake Options which are dairy and gluten-free. In addition to pancakes, they sell waffles, amazing milkshakes and Dutch delicacies including Kaasballen (fried cheese balls) and Bitterballen (meatballs).

My favourite day to go to My Old Dutch are Mondays, because of the Monday Madness Offer. Every Monday (excluding Bank Holidays), Classic Sweet and Savoury Pancakes are sold for only £5.95. My Old Dutch has 3 branches in London, one in Chelsea, one in Kensington and one in, wait for it…Holborn (about a 3-minute stroll from Holborn Station). Before lockdown, I remember visiting the pancake house with some friends in a 2-hour gap between a morning lecture and a seminar. I ordered a savoury pancake, which was incredibly filling, but the 10-minute stroll along Kingsway Road back to the LSE campus definitely helped.

As this is the month of the ‘Eat Out Help Out’ Scheme, this morning I was met with an email from My Old Dutch, stating that as the restaurant is participating in the scheme Monday Madness will now only be £2.98. Reservations can be made at the Kensington and Chelsea branches and the email confirmed that the restaurants are adhering to all social distance and hygiene guidelines. So if you have the chance to over the next few weeks, I would definitely recommend you pay a visit. Also, if pancakes aren’t for you there are countless participating restaurants, cafés, bars and pubs – check the UK government website for further information on the scheme. Lastly, if you decide to eat out at this time, be sure to abide by all of the government COVID-19 guidelines. 

Ebun Omilaju

Hello there! My name is Ebun and I’m currently pursuing a Master's in Development Studies. My top areas of interest are Globalisation, Human Trafficking and Youth Empowerment. In my free time, you would find me baking, listening to music or on a flight comparison site, searching for my next holiday destination.

Posted In: London life | Student life