Jacqueline Weitz

Feeling hungry? Seven of the best home delivery foods in London

Jacqueline Weitz

My name is Jacqueline Weitz and I was an LSE General Course student in the 2019-20 academic year. I have always been a “foodie” and – contrary to what you might have read about British food – I found plenty of hidden gems during my time in London. I love eating vegan food, but can’t say no to the odd burger or ‘chippy tea’. I joke all the time that I want to go back to London just for Deliveroo!

If you’re stuck in lockdown – or just want to try something new – here’s a list of my top picks for the best takeout and delivery restaurants in London.

Crosstown Doughnuts

I first became aware of Crosstown Doughnuts when Ella Mills, a vegan food blogger, posted a picture of some of their doughnuts. Given that Ella is a home cooking fanatic, I knew that Crosstown Doughnuts had to be exceptional. On my first day in London, I thought I’d try them out for myself … and I was not disappointed! I had the Lime and Coconut vegan doughnut made from spelt flour, with spirulina custard on the inside. On top, there was a crumble mix of coconut frosting and chia seeds. The flavours are extremely innovative, from Chai Custard to Chocolate Honeycomb. Doughnuts also travel extremely well via delivery. Perfect for a midweek treat.

Mayfair Chippy

A list of British restaurants would not be complete without a chippy. Mayfair Chippy had the best fish n’ chips of any of the restaurants I tried in London. They have a delicious gluten-free option too.

Honest Burgers

To be honest, before I came to London, I was almost fully vegan. However, once someone introduced me to Honest Burgers, I fell in love with burgers again. Not only does Honest Burgers have the best ingredients, but they also are constantly offering new and creative options. They have several locations around London and frequently partner with the local community to create one-off specials. For example, they recently collaborated with Denai Moore, a British singer-songwriter, to create the “Tribute to Jamaica” burger. Their signature rosemary fries are excellent too, and since the start of lockdown they’ve also been offering home burger kits, so that you can make your own creations at home.

Farmacy Kitchen

After doughnuts, fish n ’chips, and burgers, it’s time I include a healthy option! Farmacy Kitchen is named appropriately enough: they obtain their ingredients from their own farm in Kent, which are then delivered by electric vehicles to their restaurants. The Mexican Chili Bowl and Farmacy Spelt Pasta are some of my favourite options for delivery on the West London menu. On their East London menu, the Patatas Bravas, which are fried potatoes with smokey paprika and barbecue sauce, are a good option too.

Cutter and Squidge

The one place I miss most on this list might be Cutter and Squidge. This bakery offers treats made from all-natural ingredients, and you can really feel it. After a slice of Cutter and Squidge, I never felt sleepy or experienced a sugar rush. They offer both regular and vegan options. The Vegan Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake is incredible, with several layers of vanilla sponge, lemon and blueberry buttercream, and blueberry jam. It’s refreshing and textured, with each bite different than the last. The Vegan Chocolate Caramel Cake is my personal favorite as it features several layers of chocolate sponge cake, chocolate buttercream, salted caramel, and a chocolate crumble. I bought the cookbook to bring home with me and it’s proven absolutely impossible to replicate to the in-store standard! I implore you to order from them if you can.

Snog Frozen Yogurt

If you’re looking for a lighter treat, Snog Frozen Yogurt is perfect. Snog is made with fat-free yogurt and sweetened with agave nectar. They have tons of flavours and toppings so you can personalize it to your tastes. I love their Salted Caramel and Coconut flavours, in particular. In the warmer months, Snog also has a temporary location set up as a pink bus near the London Eye, on the banks of the Thames. This was near my dorm, which was Northumberland House, so I often walked across the bridge to get a Snog takeaway. Hopefully, this setup will also be back again this year!

Hummingbird Bakery

An ‘American-style’ bakery, Hummingbird Bakery has some of the best red-velvet cupcakes around. With gluten-free and vegan flavours, too, this bakery has something that everyone will enjoy. They don’t have complex flavours like Crosstown Doughnuts or Cutter and Squidge, but being simple doesn’t reduce the quality! In addition, I must say that Hummingbird Bakery had a lovely staff who always remembered me when I came in, which I don’t forget! Their treats are delicious and worth a delivery when you are in need of pick-me-up.

All views are those of the author and not LSE.

Jacqueline Weitz

LSE General Course 2019-20, From the USA. Jacqueline Weitz is a member of the class of 2021 at Colgate University, who is studying economics. Jacqueline was a General Course Student at LSE from 2019-2020 in the Management department. Her interests include writing about sports and food, skiing, and playing golf.

Posted In: Study Abroad