Cecily Chen

Cooking for One: 3 Easy Recipes for the Busy Student

Cecily Chen

Gone are the days when I survived on ramen, microwave pasta and ham sandwiches as a fledgling student fending for myself in a foreign country. After 4 consecutive years of living in uncatered accommodation, the culinary gods have deigned to bless upon me le gift of ‘home cooking’. I am an enlightened person now, with the ability to whip up presentable, wholesome meals from any number of ingredients in your fridge. Today, I shall share 3 simple yet delicious 15-20 minute single serving recipes that you can make at home:

Mini Shakshuka

Ingredients: 1 Onion, 1 Bell Pepper, 1 Garlic clove, ½ tsp Chilli powder, 1 Can of Peeled Tomatoes, 4 Eggs

1. Heat oil on high. Sauté chopped onions, bell pepper and garlic.
  2. Add peeled tomatoes, chilli powder, salt and pepper. Mash and mix while cooking for 5 minutes on high. (Throw in any spices in your pantry e.g. cumin, paprika)
  3. Dig 4 wells in the thick sauce and crack eggs into the wells. (Optionally, Sprinkle with Feta cheese for enhanced taste.)
  4. Cover with lid and simmer for another 5-8 minutes.
  5. Garnish with fresh Basil/Parsley/Cilantro if you have some.

Ta-dah! you now have a mini shakshuka, to be paired with store bought pita bread or naan.

Beef Rice Bowl

Ingredients: 12 strips of beef, 1 *tiny* Garlic Clove, 1 tbsp Honey, 1 tbsp Soy Sauce, 1 drop of Vinegar, 1 Cup of Easy Cook Long Grain White Rice

1. Preheat oven to 180. Cook rice with 1 ½ Cup of Water.
  2. While the rice is cooking, slice raw beef into thin strips (or get ready-sliced frozen beef strips at ye olde Asian mart) and lay them on a foil-wrapped baking tray.
  3. Mix chopped garlic, honey, soy sauce, vinegar and slather over beef strips. Oven bake for 5-7 minutes.
  4. When rice is ready, top with beef strips, greens and optionally, kimchi (also from Asian mart).

Taking advantage of easy cook rice, ready sliced beef strips, and ready chopped garlic, this recipe can require no prep at all, and has become my go-to for busy days.

Rösti

Ingredients: 2 Large Potatoes, 1 pinch Salt, 1 pinch Black Pepper, 1 tbsp Butter

1. Peel and grate potatoes.
  2. Wrap grated potatoes in a *clean* tea towel and squeeze water out. I find shaking the tea towel around ‘hammer throw’ style gets most of the moisture out.
  3. Heat butter in pan over high heat while microwaving grated potatoes on high for 3 minutes.
  4. Add grated potatoes to pan and press down with spatula. Season with salt, pepper and fry each side until golden brown.
  5. Garnish with sour cream, chives and fresh lemon juice if you have any.

Anyone who’s made Rösti, a dish from Switzerland, knows how long it takes to pan fry. So, I have taken the creative liberty of popping them in the microwave prior to frying – it still tastes good (if you’re Swiss, please don’t hate me)! Crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, the humble Rösti is so simple, yet so good.

These recipes got me through my degree, and I guarantee they can get you through yours. Happy cooking!

Cecily Chen

Cecily is a 21 year old Global Msc student at the LSE. In her free time, she enjoys painting and reading science fiction novels.