Ana-Maria

April 1st, 2021

Having a Part-Time Job While an LSE Student

Ana-Maria

April 1st, 2021

Aside from being a student blogger, I have, since the beginning of my first year at LSE, also worked as a tutor on an online platform. Though this has been a rewarding part-time job from the very start, the circumstances of the pandemic have certainly increased the popularity of and demand for online tutoring. As such, not only is it an enjoyable experience and a way to make use of those A-Level notes that you have not looked at since your exams, but it is also something that is increasingly sought after by many students.

Why did I choose to tutor?

Firstly, I knew that I wanted some form of part-time employment with a flexible schedule. Given that online tutoring platforms generally allow you to, more or less, create your own timetable (provided that it is also convenient for the student you are teaching), I thought that being a tutor would be very well-suited to me. Additionally, I had previously tutored some of my friends in high school and genuinely enjoyed the process of preparing classes and teaching. Seeing that I invested quite a lot of time and energy in studying for my A-Levels, I thought that tutoring would be a good way to share my knowledge with students. Additionally, being able to assist students with topics they find challenging, and see them finish a session feeling confident with the material, is truly what has been most rewarding from the entire experience.

Why do I enjoy it?

As mentioned, the most rewarding aspect of online tutoring is being able to clarify and make accessible material that students may not have understood prior to a session. Seeing the improvement in your students’ results and grades goes hand in hand with this. I can definitely say that I have become very invested in the progress of my students. So, by the time your students take their exams, their achievements do become yours as well. Moreover, given that I am able to choose the number of students I tutor at one point in time and the frequency of our classes, I have found it quite easy to balance this part-time job with my degree and other commitments.

If you’re thinking of undertaking a part-time job during your studies, why not try out online tutoring?

Ana-Maria

Hi! I am an undergraduate student studying Law at LSE.

Posted In: Careers | Student life | Study: Undergraduate