Kit Digby

May 17th, 2021

End of Year Reflections From Master’s Students

Kit Digby

May 17th, 2021

As we are now approaching the end of our one-year Master’s degrees, I thought I’d ask some International History Master’s students for their thoughts on what they’ve learned over the last few months about what it’s like studying a History Master’s degree at LSE! Here are their reflections and suggestions for future Master’s students.

Seminars

The LSE professors are approachable, engaged, and interested in you and your experiences. You will always be welcome to bring your personality and personal interests to seminars to add colour to academic discussions”

“The readings for classes that assign 5 – 6 readings – it’s okay to be selective and not read everything. Part of doing a Master’s is managing your time carefully, and the point of classes is to have a varied opinion base. Don’t feel pressured to cram too many readings as long as you have an understanding of the topic and the academic debates surrounding it”

Set up a Google Drives account or a WhatsApp groups for your classes to share reading summaries or podcasts and documentaries that people might find interesting. There are lots of ways to enrich your seminars by using materials outside the reading list.”

Networking and Campus

“If you can network and connect with others from totally online, then you can network anywhere

When any opportunity arises, don’t say no!

Make the most of the careers services – set up meetings, attend discussions and careers talks, check your CV and cover letters. Especially as the job market is a difficult place at the moment, get as much help and support and advice as you can.” 

Lincoln’s Inn Fields is a great place to enjoy a bit of greenery while taking a study break when you’re on campus”

Grades

“It’s basic, but the professors do really want you to succeed so you shouldn’t be nervous about reaching out even about issues you might think are silly.”

“Even though you’re at a higher level of study, there are still loads of people there to support you academically, professionally, and personally.

“The library staff can help you acquire materials that aren’t available in LSE’s collection – make the most of any opportunities to expand your access to academic sources.” 

“Even if you receive a good grade, always try and discuss your feedback with your professors. I thought when I left my undergraduate degree, my essay writing couldn’t get much better. However, the differences between the quality of my essays from September to now are dramatic.”

Life Lessons

You are studying at a university where there is a breadth of diversity of the student and staff cohort, from hugely different backgrounds with vastly different opinions. Sometimes, these differences are aired in seminars and it’s a chance for you to question your opinions and learn from other people – as well as challenge others.”

“Don’t be disheartened if you don’t achieve top marks straight away. Treat semester one like a trial, and semester two as your opportunity to learn and shine.

Take everything, from failing to succeeding, to debating and agreeing, to complaining and supporting, as a learning opportunity.” 

“Before studying my master’s, I hadn’t realised how much of an echo chamber I was in. Studying at LSE gave me the opportunity to explore new points of view”

You have been accepted to LSE, you were chosen and you deserve your place. Don’t feel intimidated by those who are more outspoken in class – speak your truth!”

For on my peers and their experiences at LSE this year, please check out my previous blog with my interviews with them!

Kit Digby

I'm a Master's student living in London and studying MSc Empire, Colonialism and Globalisation at the LSE.

Posted In: #stillPartofLSE | Student life | Study: Masters