Ana-Maria

June 17th, 2021

Life as an LSE Law Graduate

Ana-Maria

June 17th, 2021

Life as an LSE Law Graduate

Thinking about what to pursue after finishing your degree at LSE may be no easy task. For law students, in particular, a range of options are available. To shed some light on life after studying law at LSE, Jakub, who graduated in 2020, kindly agreed to share some insights; below he gives us his responses to some questions which may help current students when making important decisions about their future. Jakub is currently completing the BCL at the University of Oxford.

Why did you choose to pursue a master’s degree after studying at LSE?

“I chose to do a master’s because I was interested in pursuing an academic career, and a masters is a prerequisite for that. I also wanted to challenge myself in a different intellectual environment, and deepen my knowledge of legal theory.”

How would you say LSE has prepared you for the BCL?

The fantastic thing about LSE is the diversity of thought you will encounter. LSE has exposed me to a range of intellectual traditions in the study of law, and I am now able to think critically about the material I am assigned. That way, it is much easier to identify why I like certain literature, and what makes it different from the academic work I disagree with.”

LSE is a special institution, and studying law at LSE is a unique experience.

How are you finding your general post-LSE experience?

“I would lie if I said that my post-LSE experience has not been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Not being able to see my family for over a year, and having to work isolated from many of my peers, while completing a challenging masters, has not been easy. However, it has allowed me to reflect on the fantastic experience of studying at LSE, and look forward to some of the exciting opportunities ahead.”

The Royal Courts of Justice, commonly called the Law Courts, on Fleet Street near the border with the City of London (Temple Bar)

What tips would you give a current LSE law undergraduate with regards to life after graduating?

“Especially if you’re someone who is in the UK on a visa, or you will have to support yourself financially after graduating, it’s good to think of several alternatives for what you can do if your main plan after graduating does not work out. Admit to yourself that life after graduating is hard, and manage your expectations. However, if you think ahead, chances are you will remain on track to work towards achieving your goals.

Do you have any final advice or words of wisdom?

“It may sound cliched, but make the most of your time at LSE. LSE is a special institution, and studying law at LSE is a unique experience. Find something in your law degree that really interests you, and pursue it – whether that is through talking to the relevant professors, setting up a discussion group, or writing an article for the LSE Law Review.”

Ana-Maria

Hi! I am an undergraduate student studying Law at LSE.

Posted In: Careers | Student life | Study: Undergraduate