Ana-Maria

July 29th, 2021

Choosing an ‘Outside’ Module

Ana-Maria

July 29th, 2021

Choosing an ‘Outside’ Module

During the final year of my law degree at LSE, I decided to venture out and choose an outside non-law module: English Literature and Society (LN250). Considering that during my first two years I only studied law modules, I opted for English Literature in order to obtain a more diversified academic experience.

Why I chose LN250 as my outside module

The reasons I picked LN250 as my outside module were primarily that I enjoy reading literature in my spare time and that I enjoyed studying English Literature in high school. I also appreciated that the necessary reading for this course would serve as an interesting and fresh contrast to the literature I had to read for my law modules. The fact that it is also a somewhat ‘atypical’ course for LSE and a part of the modules offered by the Language Centre also drew me to it; having been part of the Modern Languages Society, I have always been interested in the courses offered by the Language Centre. Additionally, I knew this was quite a popular course, given that it usually filled up quite quickly during the course selection time period. On top of this, a couple of my friends studying law had previously taken LN250 and recommended it to me.

What I enjoyed about this module

What I thought was particularly interesting was the wide range of English authors we studied on this course; every week the lectures offered us an overview of the works and biography of a new author. Via this structure, the course covered authors such as Virginia Woolf, George Bernard Shaw and Muriel Spark, to name a few. With the course being structured in this way, I believe I really had an opportunity to explore how different time periods shaped contemporary British society via the palatable vehicle of fiction, produced by renowned authors. Additionally, I really enjoyed the pieces I selected to study – not only were the texts very pleasant to read, but they also provided a ‘breath of fresh air’ and a break from all the legal literature I was reading.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this course, particularly if you are a literature enthusiast!

Ana-Maria

Hi! I am an undergraduate student studying Law at LSE.

Posted In: Student life | Student Life: Advice