Tia

Student Accommodation: Life in Butler’s Wharf Residence

1 comment | 1 shares

Tia

1 comment | 1 shares

Have you sent out all the applications? Or are you running out of the place trying to get all the right documents needed for your dream schools? Are you curious about how does it look like to live in London as an LSE student? How about taking a break and giving me a few minutes to introduce you to the place I’m living — LSE Butler’s Wharf.

Location

Butler’s Wharf Residence is near one of the landmarks of the city of London — Tower Bridge, which is also the most beautiful bridge over the Thames River. By saying the word ‘near’, I mean it— less than five minutes walking from the hall to the magnificent bridge. If you still cannot quite get what does it mean, how about I tell you that I can hear the cheering clearly when Marathon runners march across the Bridge!

Commuting

It takes about 45 minutes for me to walk from the hall to LSE. I always choose to walk along the Thames River, from the south bank to the north bank, stoking in the promenade known as the Queen’s Walk. The only concern about this choice is there are so many attractions along the route that sometimes I have to remind myself that I’m not a tourist and have a seminar to attend at the School.

If you are not an enthusiastic walker, you can always choose bus or underground. There are a lot of bus stations near the hall. You can easily figure it out with the help of Google Maps. Of course, public transport in London does costs a bit more, especially the underground.

Flat

There are four courts in the Butler’s Wharf. Most students here live in a single room sharing other facilities with 5-6 roommates in a flat. The flat I am living in has two toilets, two shower rooms, one living room as well as one spacious kitchen with all the necessary appliances needed for a decent meal. We even have one ironing board and an ironer.

You might wonder whether it is a bit crowded. The good news is everyone has so different schedule that it is almost impossible for me to run into others when I need to use the communal space, say, the shower. And I can give you my word that you will need peers around especially when you are overwhelmed by the pressure of study. After a long day on the campus, nothing smooths my nerves better than a delightful conversation with my roommates over the kitchen table. The decoration in the room is nothing fancy but cozy enough. One reminder is to bring your own bedsheet and quilt cover. The rest, do not worry, the hall gets them all covered.

I must mention one more big benefit about living in the Butler’s Wharf that is the computer system and the Internet link are the same as on the campus. I can easily get any paper printed in the computer room, which makes my study in the hall as smooth as possible. And you do not have to worry about things like the Council Tax, for the hall will take good care of business as such.

Neighbourhood

There are gorgeous views and greenery parks around the area of the Butler’s Wharf. However, I decided to leave it for you to check out. Instead, allow me to talk a bit about grocery shopping.

You can find the most popular supermarkets in different scales around the hall, such as Sainsbury’s, Tesco, M&S. Need something for daily life, just walk into one of them. Fancy a special shopping experience? Walk for 10 minutes, you will encounter the most historic food market in Central London– the Borough Market, which is located on the southern end of the London Bridge with plenty of specialties. Fish and chips, café, vegetables, bread, cheese… you name it!  Stalls there are changing every time I visit. It is an amazing place to explore many times, especially when you need a break from your study. And I can share one more secret with you: try some brownies!

So, I hope you now get some clues about life in LSE’s Butler’s Wharf. You can go sightseeing in a minute, you can visit historic attractions along your way to the campus (or likewise, from campus to the hall), you can make friends from all over the world, and gourmet foods are waiting for you. Last but most important, make the booking as soon as possible once you get the offer from the LSE. Butler’s Wharf won’t disappoint you.

Why not also check out our student vlogs, including a tour of Butler’s Wharf from MSc student Saemi!  👇

Tia

I’m a postgraduate student studying MSc in Public Policy and Administration at LSE.

Posted In: Accommodation