Sarah Schaible

Mug Painting and Chocolate Caterpillars – My first term as an LLM student

Sarah Schaible

The first academic term of the 2021/22 year has come to an end. Here are my reflections and experiences of my first term studying the LLM at LSE. If you’re interested in this degree, I have recently written about what a day in my life as an LLM student looks like.

Starting the LLM

Since this was not my first year at LSE or in London, adjusting was much easier than it might have been otherwise. Nevertheless, there were many new things to get used to: New people, courses, professors, and so on. Welcome week felt quite hectic and slightly overwhelming, but I had a great time meeting all my new classmates. My department organised several events, including drinks receptions, introductory lectures, a Legal London Walking Tour, and a treasure hunt. While the process of choosing my modules for the year was a little stressful, everything sorted itself out within the first week and I was ready to begin the academic term.

Academic work

It seems to me that in a postgraduate degree, the reading lists get longer and the responsibility to finish them bigger. I did not have pre-recorded lectures in my law courses this term. Rather, I prepared readings to discuss them in two-hour Seminars, which is a format I preferred. In two of my modules, I was completely free to come up with my own topic for an essay I will write later in the year. This was new to me. While it seemed overwhelming to start with, I ended up enjoying the process of doing my own research and getting stuck in a topic that really interests me. Generally, the work was tough but manageable. There were a couple of weeks that were particularly stressful when I had to submit my formative assignments, which I have written about here.

However, there were also many fun and unexpected moments in class. Most notably, my trademark law professors organised a chocolate caterpillar tasting at the end of term after discussing the case in class. The original complaint had been brought by M&S against Aldi, who significantly copied the cake. We ended up comparing “Colin the Caterpillar” from Marks & Spencer with Asda’s “Clyde the Caterpillar”. I certainly did not expect to eat caterpillar-shaped chocolate cakes with my classmates and teachers, but it was a lovely ending to a long eleven weeks.

The two caterpillar cakes we compared

Social life and free time

Granted, there was not always much free time, so I tried to make the most of it. This term, I joined the LSESU Yoga Society, which was one of the best decisions. Every Thursday after finishing my last seminar of the week, I headed to a one-hour class to destress which was lovely. The law department also organised two large socials with food, drinks, and entertainment. One of the activities was mug painting, which was such a fun and relaxing activity that I had to mention it in this blog.

London was a great place to be in the lead up to Christmas. From late November onwards, my free time consisted of a lot of walks and marvelling at the Christmas decorations around London. My personal favourites were the displays on New Bond Street. Besides, I visited Christmas markets with friends and enjoyed many treats.

One of the Christmas displays at New Bond Street

What I am looking forward to next term

Lent term will be somewhat of a fresh start since all my courses are half-units, meaning I will start with completely different modules. Moreover, I will start to work on my LLM dissertation, which I am both nervous and excited about.

During Michaelmas term, we have been blessed with little COVID-19 restrictions. It has been great being able to learn in a classroom again and to socialise with new friends. In the hopes that classes can continue in-person next term, I am looking forward to seeing everyone again after Christmas and hope the second term has just as much in store as the first.

Sarah Schaible

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am an LSE BA Anthropology and Law graduate and a current LLM student.