Grant Golub

January 11th, 2022

Looking Ahead to Lent Term

Grant Golub

January 11th, 2022

Looking Ahead to Lent Term

LSE starts up again soon with 2022 now here, but with many of the same challenges we faced in 2021. While many of us hoped for some respite during the holiday season, the Omicron variant of COVID-19 decided it had other plans. Caseloads surged throughout the world and smashed previous daily virus highs. The world is under fresh strain and we’re not sure when or if it will let up. In the midst of all this, we’re returning to LSE for a very uncertain Lent Term.

But through all this, our academic year must continue. There are still classes to attend and teach, essays to write, assignments to complete, and deadlines to make. For my United States and the World since 1776 classes, my students have their first summative essay due the first day of the new term. Even though they are facing a lot of unpredictability this term, they have been marvellous at rolling with the punches and taking this essay seriously. I’ve been incredibly impressed with their diligence and work ethic.

For me, I’m looking to complete a couple more chapters over the next several months of my dissertation. Nearly my entire PhD experience has been shaped by the pandemic, and sometimes it has been very difficult to forge ahead, but I know when I’m finished with this thesis it’s going to be an incredible achievement. I’m constantly keeping that in mind as I keep making progress on it.

I’m hopeful in the months ahead that this latest COVID surge will abate and we can continue with our lives. After nearly two years of an unceasing pandemic, I’m not sure what else I can do.

Grant Golub

My name is Grant Golub and I'm a PhD candidate in the Department of International History at LSE. My research focuses on US foreign relations and grand strategy, diplomatic history, and Anglo-American relations.

Posted In: #stillPartofLSE | Student life