Sarah Schaible

How I Prepare For a New Term at LSE

Sarah Schaible

How I Prepare For a New Term at LSE

At the time of writing, Lent Term is right around the corner for me, so I’m about to start the second term of the LLM at LSE. I have personally always found it a bit overwhelming to start a new term, especially when the last term has gone so fast, and I haven’t fully processed the last few months. To counter this, I have come up with a few strategies to make myself feel more on top of it before the start of the new term. Most of these should also apply if you are starting your very first term.

Catch up on work

If you have January exams this is inevitable but if you – like me – only have deadlines in the summer to work towards, it is useful to get some things done to make your life easier down the line. I have caught up on essential readings, done some research for upcoming essays, and consolidated my notes ready to be found easily when it comes to revision.

Do a digital (and physical) clear out

Tying into the previous point, organising your work is key to saving time later on. You can, for example, tidy your computer’s desktop, organise your digital and physical notes in folders, and make sure everything is backed up, so you don’t lose your work (very important!). I personally like the feeling of an organised space, both on my devices and my room, especially when I am about to start a new year or new courses. Being organised now will also save time when deadlines start to pile up.

Have a look at new courses

In the LLM, I study a completely new set of modules in Lent Term. I find it useful to familiarise myself with the course pages once they are up on Moodle and look over the content and assessment format that awaits me. This is great to give a rough idea of what the term will look like. In terms of organisation, I like to create new folders for these subjects and have everything ready to jump into doing readings once the term starts. If there is time, it is also a good idea to get started with seminar preparations during the break for the first week of term since it is a nice feeling to be on top of it at the beginning of term.

Rest

Arguably the most important part of preparing for the new term is to have a break. While there is always lots to do even during the holidays, it is more likely than not that everything will get done eventually. Therefore, it is better to take some time off studying completely, since there is still a long way to go once the new term starts.

Sarah Schaible

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am an LSE BA Anthropology and Law graduate and a current LLM student.