Sofia Gerace

Top Three Reasons Why You Should Join the European Institute

Sofia Gerace

If you are interested in Europe and wondering whether you should apply for a master’s degree at the European Institute, this blog post is for you! After three months as a master’s student in Political Economy of Europe, I want to share my personal experience and give you three reasons why I think it is worth it to apply for a master’s at the European Institute.

Thirty Years of Impact in Europe

Founded in 1991, the European Institute has been a leading centre for European Studies for 30 years! Professors are leading academics in their field and are eager to teach you everything they discovered through their research and work experience. Their expertise is allowing me to better understand the current academic debates as well as deepening my understanding of current affairs.

Indeed, their academic research does not only affect the academic debate, but it is actively engaged with politics and policymaking. Some professors have been working in international organisations and European institutions and can give you an insight of what happens behind the scenes of European politics. Finally, every week the EI organises public events and talks with influential figures, such as politicians, public officials, or professors who come to give a talk about their experiences.

A Friendly Community

The student community at the European Institute is much friendlier than what I could have ever expected. Students are international and come from every continent, although it is true that the most of us come from Europe! Students are open-minded and always looking forward to making new friends. I remember reading many articles about LSE students being very competitive and not friendly. However, this has not been my personal experience. It goes without saying that everyone is very ambitious, but it’s a good thing since it can encourage you to do better.

Students in my cohort help each other out by sharing their notes and giving academic and professional advice to each other! Moreover, the European Institute’s community is also very sociable outside the classroom. With my classmates of Political Economy of Europe, we have a weekly pub night every Thursday during which we can relax all together and stop thinking about our studies just for a little while.

A Supportive Department

Finally, the staff of the European Institute are very supportive from the very beginning. If you are a bit disorganised like I am, you do not have to worry. The department sends emails every week with a long list of reminders about the semester to make sure you are not missing anything. They also understand the importance of having a good student experience during academic studies and they try to organise social events, dinners, pub nights, and walks around London! These events allow you to experience London life and to get to know your classmates and academics, and they do enhance your student experience at the LSE!

Sofia Gerace

I'm Sofia, an italian student at the LSE. Apart from being passionate about my MSc in Political Economy of Europe, I enjoy learning foreign languages, visiting new countries, and writing stories about my life as international student.

Posted In: Applying: Masters