Anya

March 3rd, 2022

Overcoming homesickness in London

Anya

March 3rd, 2022

Overcoming homesickness in London

London is one of the most exciting cities to live in as a young student. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has exacerbated the feeling of isolation and loneliness among many students, myself included. It was tough to make genuine connections with so much uncertainty and stress related to Covid-19. When I first moved to London in September, my home country Vietnam was in a severe lockdown, so I was very excited to finally be able to go to shops, restaurants, and concerts. However, after catching a bad cold in autumn, I was left alone in my dorm room with nobody to talk to. The life that I lead in London is so vastly different from the one that I have in Hanoi, leading to a big culture shock. To overcome this problem, I’ve tried out different ways to overcome homesickness.

First, I began exploring different Vietnamese food options near Rosebery Hall and the campus. Some of the recommended restaurants were just average for someone who grew up in Hanoi like me. Some others had stable banh mi dishes that somewhat resembled the food I had at home. However, I was finally able to experience great delight from food during a visit with my friend to Cay Tre Soho, a popular Vietnamese restaurant in London. The restaurant had beautiful indoor architecture. If you ever visit this place, I really recommend their steamed rice roll crepes, also known as Bánh Cuốn.

I also visited different bubble tea shops around the area such as the Alley, Ding Tea, and ChaTime to satisfy my cravings. If you don’t already know, bubble tea is huge for Vietnamese youth. While none of the food will ever come close to homemade food, exploring the Vietnamese food scene in London has helped me tremendously with adjusting to life here. If you’re feeling equally homesick, I’d recommend finding some comfort foods that can remind you of home!

Bubble Tea
Photo by Frank Zhang on Unsplash

In addition to exploring the London food scene, I made time almost every day to speak to my family members and give them an update on my life in London. I also really recommend sharing photos and videos of your life in family group chats to communicate with your loved ones. Even if you don’t speak to your family or friends back home daily, sharing stories and photos of your life in London will help you feel connected.

Finally, I joined the LSE Vietnamese Society to meet with other Vietnamese students at LSE, which was also a great way to meet people outside of my Study Abroad program. Through the organization, I was able to connect with many students from my hometown Hanoi. Connecting with other students from your home city or country is a great way to feel less homesick during your time abroad.

Studying abroad during a pandemic can be a lonely experience for many students. However, don’t let that discourage you from making connections during your stay at LSE. Even if you only get to know one person closely for one year, you should be proud that you made the step to create that connection. Through sharing my experience, I hope that some of you can be comforted by the fact that someone else may be going through the same thing. If you ever want to go out to Pret together, comment below, and I’ll reach out to you.

Anya

Phuong Anh (Anya) is a General Course studying business administration and political science at the University of Richmond. She loves writing and reading novels, diving into the history of different cultures, and exploring the works of different philosophers. She is also an enthusiastic animal lover with three cat siblings and a dog.

Posted In: Study Abroad