Sofia Gerace

Student Conference in Cumberland Lodge: My Experience

Sofia Gerace

If you are applying for a master’s at LSE, you should know that some departments organise every year a three-day student conference in Cumberland Lodge! I personally attended as part of the European Institute and had a great time. Here you can find some more information of what these three days look like.

The Beautiful Windsor Great Park

Cumberland Lodge is a wonderful venue located in the heart of Windsor Great Park. A beautiful walk in the nature links the Lodge with Windsor Castle! You will spend three days in the beautiful English countryside surrounded by immense fields. The Lodge looks like a castle: the bedrooms are very elegant, and the common spaces will make you feel like you’re living in a fairy tale. Meals are served in an old-fashioned dining room, while in the afternoon the Lodge also serves tea and cake in one of their beautiful living rooms.

Three Days of Engaging Discussions

During the 2022 Student Conference organised by the European Institute, we had the opportunity to learn more about intergenerational fairness with a conference from Lord Willets, member of the House of Lords and president of Resolution Foundation. We were also able to engage in interesting discussions with some of our professors. Finally, we were involved in Oxford-style debating as well as film-making activities. I guess that the student conference can have different formats and activities but, in the end, LSE staff and professors will do everything they can to ensure you have a great time.

Long-lasting Friendships

Apart from the interesting conference and the incredible venue, Cumberland Lodge is also the perfect opportunity to make long-lasting friendships. Spending three days with your friends and classmates will allow you to get you know each other even better. Also, it is an opportunity to make new friends and get to know other students in your department!

Sofia Gerace

I'm Sofia, an italian student at the LSE. Apart from being passionate about my MSc in Political Economy of Europe, I enjoy learning foreign languages, visiting new countries, and writing stories about my life as international student.

Posted In: Study: Masters