Nadya

March 24th, 2022

Why You Should Apply to the General Course

1 comment

Nadya

March 24th, 2022

1 comment

Growing up I changed schools several times and I was exposed to very different school systems which, in the long term. helped me a lot to gain a more diverse perspective on life and challenged me to adapt quickly to new environments. Even before I started my first semester, I knew that I wanted to study abroad during my university years because of the experiences it would give me. Although I knew that I wanted to study abroad, it was much harder to decide exactly where to go. While the pandemic decided some things for me, it was still challenging to choose a program. For anyone wondering if the LSE General Course is the right fit for them, I compiled a short list of why you should apply and study at LSE for a full year.

A whole year to find the best view in the city!

If you are from a small liberal arts college, like me, the General Course is the perfect opportunity to experience the big university life in one of the best cities in the world. I decided to study at a small liberal arts college because I was intrigued by the opportunities it offered, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious about studying at a big university too. The General Course has allowed me to experience a year at one of the best universities in the world and, while LSE is not one of the biggest universities, it is huge compared to the 3,000 student college I attend in the US.

Spending a whole year abroad might appear under ‘cons’ on your list since it is a long time to be away from your home university and the friends you’ve made there, but I’d argue you should move it to the ‘pros’ column. A semester is often not enough to truly experience everything and by the time you get comfortable in the new environment, find friends and learn your way around the city, you have to leave. A year, on the other hand, gives you more time and freedom to plan, travel, meet more people, and check more things off your list.

A year in London give you the opportunity to explore the best theatre shows!

Being a General Course student means that you’d be spending a full year in one of the best cities in the world. I don’t think it is possible to be bored in London – there are infinite things you can do, see and try regardless of what your interests are. Whenever I have free time I like to go for a walk and get lost on purpose just to see something new—which I highly recommend because that is how I found my favorite bakery!  During your time at LSE you’ll meet people from all around the world. Whether it is in your classes or at events organized by societies, you will interact and learn from people from different cultures and backgrounds and a year really allows you the time to develop lasting friendships. Being a General Course student also means that you’d be spending a full year in one of the best cities in the world. I don’t think it is possible to be bored in London – there are infinite things you can do, see and try regardless of what your interests are.

Related to these, the courses that LSE offers made the task of choosing a study abroad program much easier. One of the reasons why the General Course is a full-year program is because most classes are not semester-long, but span over the full academic year. I decided to take four full-unit (full-year) courses, and I have enjoyed the chance to delve into a topic in more detail and look at and compare multiple case studies. I am taking classes at LSE that my home university does not offer and so I get to explore my interests through new pathways.

These are just a few things to consider when you decide whether LSE is the right place for you to study abroad. The idea of spending a full year away from your home university does sound like a long time, but when I think about the fact that I have only two more months here, I am shocked at how quickly the year has passed. The General Course offered me so many opportunities that I wouldn’t have had access to had I stayed in the US. Studying abroad is an amazing experience and many people have told me that their biggest regret from their university days is that they didn’t take advantage of studying abroad. London is a beautiful city with so many plays, musicals, museums, bars, restaurants, and landmarks to see and try that your year here will likely be one of the best experiences in your life.

Nadya

Nadya studies Government and German at Franklin and Marshall College. Originally from Bulgaria, she is now spending one year studying at LSE as a General Course student.

Posted In: Study Abroad | Study: Undergraduate