Victoire

Escapism in Hampstead

Victoire

Escapism in Hampstead

Spring is officially here, and it shows. Days are getting longer, warmer, and the sun is out. The season of strolls has arrived and spring break is coming up so classes should not restrain you from going for a relaxing walk.  Remember that these restful and reflective moments are productive too! Spring break is a good opportunity to go outside of London and discover other regions in the UK, but if you don’t have the money or time to go for a ‘real’ trip (although if you can afford it, I would 100% recommend it!), then instead you might want to know about this hidden gem in Zone 3. 

Hampstead is a residential neighbourhood surrounding a gigantic park, Hampstead Heath, and is located in North London, above Camden Town. It really doesn’t feel like London! It has a village-like, boho atmosphere that I personally love. You’ll find narrow cobbled streets, organic bakeries and vintage book shops. You’ll see people reading the newspaper on a café terrace, parents picking up their kids from school, hipsters walking their dogs and you’ll hear birds chirping.

Overall, there is a quite magical, very poetic vibe about the whole place and I’d really recommend it to artists in need of inspiration! Let me tell you a little story illustrating Hampstead’s peculiarity: 

I was strolling in Hampstead Heath when I noticed three open books lying out on the side of the pathways. The wind was gently turning the pages. I got closer, intrigued. An elegant middle-aged man was coming from the opposite direction and, when he saw the book, said “when someone is turning the pages for you [he was referring to the wind], you have to read the book”. And so he did! Realising it was poetry, he looked at the book’s cover and it was a collection of Rimbaud’s poems! The most interesting conversation ensued. Starting from Rimbaud, we talked about another French poet, Jacques Prévert, and then this stranger told me about the life of the French composer Claude Debussy. 

Just after this conversation, a woman came to me to talk about the beauty of the light’s reflection in the pond. People in Hampstead were very friendly and outgoing. What a change compared to Zone 1, where people always seem so busy and stressed! 

Okay, now that I’ve let my romantic side ramble, let’s talk more practical stuff:

How to get there?

If you’re starting from LSE, you’ll need around 35 minutes on the northern line to get there. You can either aim for Hampstead Station or Hampstead Heath Station (on the Overground). Alternatively, you can also take the 168 bus, but it might take longer, depending on traffic.

What to do in Hampstead?

Hampstead Heath should really be on your bucket list. Wider and less tamed than most parks you’ll find in London, this is the perfect place to take a break from the city. It’s like woods, with nice glades.

Another must do is to visit the observatory and admire the astounding view that you’ll have over London. Primrose Hill might not be overrated, but Hampstead Heath is definitely underrated. You’ll have to climb a small hill, but you’ll see it’s 100% worth it.

After all this hiking you might want a treat. If it’s sunny, why not go for ice cream? Near Hampstead Station, in the lovely village-like streets, there are several ice cream shops. My recommendation is Oddono’s. There, you can have two generous scoops of creamy Italian gelato for £3.50 (by London standards, that’s a bargain!). And honestly, that was one of the best ice creams I’ve had. I particularly liked the caramello e fichi flavour.

My last piece of advice would be to carefully choose the day you’re going. Check the weather and go on a sunny day – it’s way more enjoyable!

Victoire

Hi I'm Victoire! I’m a French GO LSE exchange student who likes Victorian literature and classic rock.

Posted In: London life | Study Abroad