Anne Lieber

May 9th, 2022

Best ways to “get involved” at LSE

Anne Lieber

May 9th, 2022

Best ways to “get involved” at LSE

Grad school is daunting enough when you consider the academic studies alone. On top of that, taking advantage of your time at LSE is key to building a strong network for future success. There are many ways to get involved at LSE, but these are the ones I’ve found most enjoyable.

Clubs and societies

Getting involved with extracurricular activities is a fantastic way to meet people and dig into your programme more. I’ve been working with The Public Sphere journal (LSE’s student-run policy journal) and, of course, writing here for Students@LSE. Both have given me the opportunity to meet more people and really think about my programme outside of the academic field.

Common Rooms

My two favourite places to study on campus are my department’s common room (as several friends and some faculty can attest, as they will always know to find me there on some weekdays) and the Postgraduate Common Room. While both are good places to buckle down, there are usually people around, so you can have a chat with others when in need of a break.

Department Events

I can’t speak for all LSE departments, but the School of Public Policy is great when it comes to holding student events during the term. They provide excellent opportunities to strike conversations with people you might not usually encounter (while getting free food!) and to find out more about what’s going on at LSE.

Pubs

It’s no secret that London has an endless array of pubs to choose from, including three on the LSE campus. Going for drinks after class or a social event is pretty common among my cohort, and some of my best conversations have happened in (or standing outside of) The George.

Anne Lieber

Anne Lieber is a first year Master of Public Administration student at LSE. She is originally from the Washington, DC area.

Posted In: Student Life: Advice