Li Xuan

May 9th, 2022

Let’s talk: Mental Health Awareness Week

Li Xuan

May 9th, 2022

This week marks the start of mental health awareness week and as part of LSE’s efforts, a range of events will be taking place throughout the week for staff and students alike. Be mindful that some of these activities will have limited places so make sure to book them early and take full advantage of them. Although, it doesn’t end there as the whole month is dedicated to mental health awareness! Here are some further activities for you to engage with:

Disconnect culture

It can be difficult as this month is also where a lot of summer-term assessments and exams are scheduled, so when you find that you have any long breaks between deadlines or if you’re lucky and will be done with all your assessments by the first two weeks, immediately push pause and switch off all devices for 1-2 days and delete any work-related apps. It can be a big ask and sometimes extremely difficult to let go but trust me when I found the courage to attempt it, it was probably one of the most exhilarating moments of my life! I felt so empowered, that I was able to be back in full control of my body and mind instead of someone or something constantly having to bother me for my attention.

Reconnect with mother

No, not your biological mother (though you could do so as an extra!) but Mother Nature. She has strong soothing and healing properties which is also why she’s said to be the best form of medicine that will help rejuvenate and recharge your mind. This is particularly useful if you’ve just spent hours reading and writing up assignments or exams. Be sure to get a breath of fresh air at some of these breathtaking locations!

Host “Wellbeing Mondays”

Make it a habit to schedule these short catch-up sessions with a group of people you can trust and connect with over mental health concerns. You could choose to meet up in a park, at everyone’s favourite café or host a Zoom session but put a fun spin by adding background music so that it amps up the chill factor or use the share screen function to host a Pub Quiz.

Laughter yoga

OK, I’m not going to lie and say that I didn’t use to find this rather odd after being introduced to it during a Personal Social Health and Education (PSHE) session back in school but after trying it for myself, I find that it is such a relieving technique to get rid of your inner worries. Check out the YouTube Channel of Robert Rivest, an internationally renowned corporate wellness specialist, and you might find that you’ll even get hooked on it the first time you try it out!

Enrol in a Mental Health Course

If you want to kick it up a notch and become a certified mental health awareness first aider, there are many online and offline opportunities to choose from!

Miscellaneous

Other small-scale activities to engage with include: colouring books, stress balls, reading self-help books, going on a spa day or lighting candles in the evening.

Li Xuan

A Malaysian Borneo native studying MSc Environment and Development. Given my multicultural upbringing, I speak 6 languages which is partly why I chose the LSE and its very international student body! I'm also a R'n'B/soul/jazz fanatic.