Tia

June 11th, 2022

“Magic miscellaneous” objects recommended in your luggage to London

Tia

June 11th, 2022

When it comes to packing, people always find themselves trapped in the same question—how can I put all my life into one piece of baggage? The dilemma would be even more overwhelming when you are supposed to pack for your study abroad which usually takes years. I would like to introduce several miscellaneous objects that might save you, or at least save some ‘precious’ space in your baggage while making your life easier.

Number 1 – an eye mask and earplugs

Nights in London can be much longer than you think it would be, for the city is located at the high latitudes of the earth. You might stay up late reading, writing, or partying as every student at LSE would probably do. However, at the end of the day, you will need a good sleep for a thorough recovery. The bad news is window shades in your room might not be as functional as they should be or the walls of your flat are probably much ‘thinner’ than you could imagine.

The good news is you are at the right place— the LSE blog webpage! Here is my advice: bring a soft, silky eye mask and a pair of ‘block-all-voice-off’ earplugs. By putting these two in your luggage, I promise you a good sleep wherever you are.

Number 2 – a pocket-tool

Something with multiple functions, like scissors, bottle opener, screwdrivers…… But make sure that your pocket-tool will have the necessary tools needed in any situation (and that they work effectively)!

It is one hundred percent true that you come to London to study, but life in London is not all about study. The other day, for instance, the handle of my baggage was broken which left me no choice but loosen all the screws in the case to replace a new one. You cannot imagine how cheerful I was when I finally ‘discovered’ the screwdriver in my pocket-tool and how regretful I felt after realizing that the size of the knife/cutting tool was so small that it could not handle such a ‘big mission’. Life is full of ‘surprises’. it is easier to sort it out with a proper tool in your hand.

Number 3 – handkerchiefs

Put one or two cotton handkerchiefs in your suitcase. They hardly occupy any space, but they may be of versatile use. They can be wrappers for your lunch box, a placemat for you to have a decent meal wherever you are, or a napkin that saves your shirt from oily dripping. If you need to keep your hair up or tidy, given the proper size, they can be scarves in the winter wind! If they are worn out, do not throw them away, you may use them to clean tables, shelves just as pieces of rag.

Number 4 – mini stationery

Things such as paper clips, clamps; the world of study is occupied with high-tech gadgets nowadays. It seems that a laptop or an iPad is all you need for whatever courses you are going to attend. However, there are occasions that you might have to carry some pieces of paper around. A thin sheet of file case would be a good choice to keep your paper as neat as possible. And you never know when a tiny paper clip would save your day. Moreover, if you are coming from a country such as China, I bet you will be astonished to find out what a fortune these tiny, mini stationery materials would cost you.

You might have noticed that all the objects I recommend here are miscellaneous things with ‘magic ‘ power: barely asking for any space of your baggage, yet might be your lifesaver. Hope my advice would bring a hint at your own ‘bespoke’ packing plan. One more thing to remember, do not panic when you find something in need is not in your baggage—this is London, you can always find everything you need here.

Tia

I’m a postgraduate student studying MSc in Public Policy and Administration at LSE.

Posted In: Student life | Travel