Ragini

June 21st, 2022

Top 4 LSE Careers events to attend this summer

Ragini

June 21st, 2022

It’s summertime and exams have finally come to an end! Some of us still have the daunting task of writing a dissertation but we all certainly deserve some time off so we can pat ourselves on the back. It is also the time of the year when career anxiety is at an all time high! LSE Careers is hosting a bunch of sessions from June 20 to July 8 related to planning and navigating your career. However, it is understandable if you do not want to spend your summer attending webinars, especially with the sunny days we have been having in London. This is why I have compiled a list of top 4 events that will help reduce your career anxiety and allow you to enjoy your summer as well!

1. My first recommendation is an event called Tips for LinkedIn and online networking taking place online on June 22. This event may be useful for people who are unsure on how to start their job hunt or where to look. Over the last two years, the importance of online networking has certainly grown and attending this event will give you practical tips on how to navigate this new hybrid job market we face.

2. My second recommendation is workshop titled How to write CVs and cover letters being held on campus on June 29. I assume most of the people reading this already have a CV and may even have some practice in writing cover letters. Moreover, there is plenty of advice regarding the same online. However, I recommend attending this event as it will require you to actively assess how you approach CVs and cover letters. Moreover, it could be extremely helpful to talk to other people and learn from their experiences of writing or sending CVs/cover letters.

3. The next event I recommend is a panel called What does a meaningful career mean to you taking place online on July 5. The panelists include Jonathan Friedman, a partner at Wallbrook and an LSE alumnus, Mirren Mcleod, a human resources professional, Pau Castellvi Canet, a leadership coach and mentor, and more to be announced. This may seem slightly different from the other two recommendations as it does not include any professional aspect of job hunting. However, it is equally important to think about the type of career you are striving towards as this will allow you to better filter through the various opportunities available. While it might seem tedious to think about now, it will definitely help you speed through applications faster.

4. My final recommendation is an event taking place on campus on July 6 called Wellbeing in the workplace. Transitioning from a university to a workplace is already difficult. Moreover, wellbeing services at LSE make sure they are always accessible and losing that access after graduation can be daunting. This session will advice you on how to make the best of the support and networks available in your workplace. It will also teach you about the steps employers take to try and make workplaces an inclusive and welcoming environment.

Ragini

My name is Ragini and I am a masters student in the department of International History. I am intersted in studying South Asian history, particularly Indian history. I also grew up in Delhi so I love living in London because I feel right at home amidst all the noise and commotion.