Victoire

June 30th, 2022

3 Things I’ve Learnt as an Exchange Student at LSE

Victoire

June 30th, 2022

I’ve learnt a lot during my exchange year at the LSE, both academically and personally, thanks to professors and fellow students.  Talking about everything I’ve learned in this one blog would make it way too long. However, there are 3 takeaways that, as an exchange student, I found particularly interesting and that I’d like to share with soon-to-be LSE, GO LSE, and General Course students:

How to study autonomously

LSE has fewer contact hours than I was used to at my home university. Most courses are made up of a 1 to 2-hour lecture and a 1-hour seminar each week of term. In this short time frame, content can only be partially covered, and further independent research is needed on the part of students to really understand the topics and prepare for assessments. Readings and problem sets, therefore, are crucial. At LSE I’ve learned to read and take notes efficiently and to base my revisions on my readings, in addition to the class content. Besides, I’ve learnt to make use of this wonderful tool that we have at our disposal: the internet! But the internet is obviously not the only resource available and LSE’s library is extremely helpful. I’d definitely recommend borrowing books on topics you want to delve into to expand your knowledge. In addition, all LSE teaching faculty hold office hours weekly, and they are usually very happy to answer questions and help students understand the material.

How to network

The networking culture at the undergraduate level seems more significant in the UK than in my country of origin, France. This might be because it is easier to enter the labour market after a Bachelor’s degree in the UK than it is in France. LSE organises a plethora of networking events which are a great way to know more about a field, find out about internships or job opportunities and get advice from professionals. Most importantly, LSE Careers organises sessions to learn how to network efficiently, in addition to the many other helpful workshops and events they put on. Networking can be daunting, therefore these workshops are very reassuring.

LSE organises a plethora of networking events which are a great way to know more about a field, find out about internships or job opportunities and get advice from professionals.

How to design an attractive CV and LinkedIn profile

When entering university, most of us think we know how to create a CV. Yet, most of the time, we’re wrong. This is especially true for Study Abroad students. I sent dozens of CVs with a picture before realising, during one of LSE Careers’ CV workshops, that including a photo was not recommended in the UK. This anecdote illustrates how useful these CV and LinkedIn workshops are. Besides, not all universities organise such sessions, so you might as well make the most of it! Moreover, LSE Careers also offers the opportunity to book one-to-one appointments with advisors to get more personalised feedback on your CV.  Whether you’re applying for summer internships or full-time jobs, the workshops are a great way to make sure your CV stands out!

Victoire

Hi I'm Victoire! I’m a French GO LSE exchange student who likes Victorian literature and classic rock.

Posted In: Study Abroad | Study: Undergraduate