Lily

July 4th, 2022

How I manage horses and uni

Lily

July 4th, 2022

How I manage horses and uni

A question I get asked a lot is: “Why are you living at home if you’re not from London?”

And aside from the fact it’s only around a 45-minute train journey for me, the other main reason is that I have Jimmy, my pony.

Now this is not a common occurrence, especially at a university like LSE which is based in central London – but I’m sure there are many current or prospective students with responsibilities which may make it harder or impossible for them to move away from home.

In this blog, I will share how I manage university alongside my other responsibilities, such as caring for Jimmy.

Admittedly, this responsibility is not for people who dislike early mornings.

My days start at 5.30am, starting early to get everything done before heading to campus. Thankfully, I am surrounded by many supportive people who will help if I am unable to make it either in the morning or in the evening, but I always try to go down to the yard at least once a day.

My morning routine consists of cleaning out Jimmy’s stable and preparing hay and feed for the evening, which is particularly important if I am leaving someone else in charge of him that day. Of course, there are days when I find myself struggling to get up so early, especially during winter mornings when it is often dark and cold, but at the end of the day, it all feels worth it. It’s also very reassuring to know I’m not alone in this situation, a few other people I know who have horses also attend university.

How I manage workload alongside my extra responsibilities

Overall it’s not as difficult to manage as some might expect – it’s no different from spending a few hours a day at a sports club or social event.  I make sure to utilise my time between classes and lectures as best I can so that when I go home, I have the reassurance that I have done some work that day. Of course, the early mornings and commute into central London can get quite tiring but it’s something I’ve adapted to as the year has progressed.

All in all, I don’t feel like having this extra responsibility is a burden on my university experience. Having something to attend to and care for twice a day helps to keep my workload balanced, plus it is a great asset to my mental health. Having a supportive network of people around you can definitely help, but it is 100% possible to commute to university and care for an animal such as a horse at the same time.

Lily

My name is Lily and I'm a first year BSc sociology student.