Nalifa

July 5th, 2022

A welcome to campus from the LSE buildings

Nalifa

July 5th, 2022

Hello everyone! We are the LSE buildings. We know that inanimate objects do not generally communicate. Let’s just say that we hired a ghostwriter to talk to you.

Why did we suddenly decide to talk, you ask? It’s because of you. So many of you cannot wait to embrace this campus that you are going to call your own. Most of you are even dreaming and daydreaming about your new campus. Therefore, we decided to tell the story of us. Since there are so many of us, we cannot tell the story of all of us in one go. We chose some of our more famous members as our ghostwriter has spent more time with them. Although all of us live in harmony and are crucial for everyday activities, we are told that some of us are more famous than others for studies and group activities. Therefore, please follow us as we take you through our journey.

Old Building

I am your entry point to the campus. Although age is just a number, I am proud of the fact that I am the old one here as I was constructed in 1920. Apart from classrooms and academic departments, I house the Shaw Library, a café, the Old Theatre, and the Student Services Centre (SSC). The SSC ensures that all of you must visit me at least once during your time at LSE, if not more. I am also a very popular spot for taking your first I am at LSE photo. On brighter and sunnier days, you can enjoy having a quick snack sitting on the benches adjacent to me. As you take a bite you can walk to your next destination.

Centre Building

When you walk past the Old Building and arrive at the heart of campus, look to your right and you will find me here. I am in the centre and my name gives it away. I am arguably famous for my working spaces. Groups of students always seem to occupy the colourful couches and do their group-study tasks here. Some of you may be in their places soon. I also house the Alumni Centre, so I can take credit for the space that brings the old and the new together. Additionally, if people-watching is your favourite pastime, I am a good place to exercise that hobby.

The LSE Library

You will find me near the Centre Building. During term time, I am probably the most popular building on campus. I am open 24/7 and house one of the richest collection of books, journals, and archival documents. You can use my round stairs and walk up and down and get some quick steps under your exercise belt.

The Marshall Building

I am the new kid on the block! If you come out of the library and take a left, you will find me there. I host the Beaver’s Brew Café, sports facilities, roof terraces, student learning spaces, seminar rooms and classrooms, and thrive on the potential of bright students who will go out there to change the world. I have been told that it’s extremely difficult to find a seat inside. However, when you do find one, I serve you with plenty of modern amenities.

New Academic Building

I’m located across the Marshall Building. I was constructed in 1912, but since I was renovated in 2008, they call me the New Academic Building. Amongst many other things, I think I am famous for housing the Shaw Vegan café. I also have lecture theatres and student spaces for you to just sit in and work. Lincoln’s Inn Fields are right across from me. So, if you need to take a break between your studies, you can easily walk its grounds.

As for the rest of us, we don’t want to give away our stories too soon. We are eagerly waiting for you to join us this September and explore us on your own or with your community. Here’s how you can do it yourself with Explore LSE!

Nalifa

Nalifa Mehelin is an MSc candidate in International Social and Public Policy (ISPP) program at the Social Policy department at LSE. She's from Bangladesh. She loves smelling new books, cooking Bangladeshi cuisine and is still waiting for her Hogwarts letter.

Posted In: Campus