Sarah Schaible

July 20th, 2022

My top tips for moving flats

Sarah Schaible

July 20th, 2022

My top tips for moving flats

In the past four years, I have moved to new accommodation three times. From that experience, I know how stressful the process can turn out to be. Over the years, I have identified some common issues that I faced every time, but also some strategies of how to resolve them.

1. Having more stuff than when you arrived

Before you even start packing things up, I would recommend having a big clear-out. Over the year, I always end up accumulating miscellaneous items, many of which I do not need to hold on to. Before trying to pack everything ready to move, it makes sense to think carefully about what you will really need moving forward.

2. Having a lot of things to throw away

Once you have done your clear-out, the obvious follow-up question is what to do with the things you don’t need anymore. Rather than throwing everything away, I recommend trying to make this process more sustainable, by selling or giving things away.

You can start by donating clothes and books which are still intact to charity. You can also sell things on Facebook marketplace, for example, if you have larger items or valuable items that are still in very good condition. When it comes to food in your cupboards, I would recommend trying to actively cook with those things, rather than buying lots of new groceries before you move. Any leftovers that are unopened and in date can be donated to a local food bank.

My most important tip in this regard is to plan ahead. When trying to sell something, do not expect it to be sold the next day. Sometimes, these things take a while, so make sure to start decluttering well ahead of your moving date. Doing this ensures that there are fewer things you will just have to throw away on the last day, and other people could even benefit from some of your unwanted things.

3. Having to do everything by yourself

This is an issue that I have faced repeatedly, which I did not expect to have such a big impact. Since many of us are international students, our families live abroad and are simply unable to drive up to our accommodation with a car to take all our stuff.

Personally, I think it is worth considering companies such as Lovespace to avoid a lot of stress. Lovespace is a storage company which offers flexible rates for storing your stuff between moves. If you are leaving London for good, there are lots of courier services which can deliver your stuff across countries. While these things obviously cost money, there can be savings compared to sending things via post or trying to carry everything on a plane.

Sarah Schaible

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am an LSE BA Anthropology and Law graduate and a current LLM student.

Posted In: Accommodation