Anya

October 12th, 2022

A Guide to Securing Internships in London as a General Course Student

Anya

October 12th, 2022

London is one of the most important economic centres of the world, so it’s no wonder that there are a variety of companies and start-ups General Course students can look to for gaining practical experience in the real world. As someone who’s successfully secured an internship offer for the summer, I wanted to provide my perspective for current and incoming GC students on the steps to finding an internship in London.

It’s Never Too Late Join Societies and Start Networking

At the end of my sophomore year in the U.S., I decided to try out finance roles to learn more about the field. However, at that time, I missed the deadlines for most of the internships in the U.S. because I began my preparation process much later than my peers. I decided not to give up and to keep an eye out for the opportunities in London by visiting the social media pages of LSE societies such as the Business and Investment Group. Luckily, I found a diversity program for a firm that I was interested in, applied and got selected for the Insights Day. From there, I submitted my resume for screening and awaited results. I also attended events by societies like the LSE Green Finance Society to learn more about the opportunities available in sustainable finance, an area that I was interested in.

Rely on Existing Network and Resources

After I was fast-tracked to the Assessment Day, I was very anxious because I was not as familiar with the recruiting process abroad as some of my peers. To combat this problem, I browsed the internet for interview guides and prepared for common finance questions. I also scheduled mock interview sessions with the Careers staff in my home university, to get a glimpse of how the process would happen. LSE Careers also provides practice interview coaching sessions for current students. Additionally, I used LinkedIn to contact past interns at the company to ask for their tips on how to ace the process. Further, I asked for guidance from alumni from my university who worked at the firm in the U.S. to best prepare for the “Why Firm X?” question.

Don’t Be Nervous to Demonstrate Your Character

I was still nervous before the virtual Assessment Centre began. To calm my nerves, I did a 15-minute pep talk and listened to a meditation session on my phone. Before the interviews began, I tried my best to display my personality to lighten the situation and show my unique character. During the group exercise, I tried to offer unique perspectives and be an active listener. This not only helped me to connect with other students, but also stand out in front of the interviewers who are looking for people who can work under pressure.

Before the interviews began, I tried my best to display my personality to lighten the situation and show my unique character.

Don’t Be Afraid to Fail and Keep Actively Looking

A week after the assessment centre, I was told that my offer was on hold as the company was deliberating on the final candidates. Even tough I was initially disappointed, I continued to apply for opportunities at other companies. After another week of waiting, I finally got an offer from the company and secured an internship contract. I was super relieved to receive an offer after many failures.

Internship searching can be a daunting task for students, but one thing I’ve learnt from the entire process is to just start acting instead of worrying. I spent much of my time during my sophomore year worrying about my job prospects instead of doing things that would improve my chances of getting an internship. Don’t be scared of failing because failures will help you become more resilient and experienced over time. I hope that this guide has been helpful and let me know if you have questions in the comments below.

Anya

Phuong Anh (Anya) is a General Course studying business administration and political science at the University of Richmond. She loves writing and reading novels, diving into the history of different cultures, and exploring the works of different philosophers. She is also an enthusiastic animal lover with three cat siblings and a dog.

Posted In: Off Campus | Study Abroad