Lola

February 22nd, 2023

Walking in London: a worthy weekend activity

Lola

February 22nd, 2023

“There’s a whole world out there, right outside your window. You’d be a fool to miss it.” – Charlotte Eriksson.

The quote above is one that I like to keep in mind. Not only is it incredibly accurate, but it also motivates me to go out and explore my surroundings. Luckily, one of the best ways to explore is also the simplest form of exploration – Walking.

I have spent some of my favourite weekends in London walking around the city. Walking might not seem like the most exciting activity, but don’t be so quick to judge. Walking in a city like London is rarely dull since there’s always an adventure. Plus, if you’re looking for specific tips on making the most of your walking adventures, I’ve got a few I can share.

Walking Tours

Walking tours are a fantastic way to check out a new city and learn a lot. For example, I saw major sites like Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, and Big Ben during a West London tour. Sight-seeing was not my favourite part, though. My favourite parts were the stories and tales my tour guide shared along the way. Like the time someone managed to break into the wine cellar at Buckingham Palace or the scandalous life of King George IV. I’d recommend signing up for your own tour of London and checking out East London, Soho or even a Harry Potter-themed tour. The best part is many of these tours are free or relatively cheap.

Parks and Nature

My personal preference for a walk is definitely one that includes nature. While many parts of London may feel like a concrete jungle, there are many parks to explore when you need some greenery. Each park has unique spots, whether it be a beautiful fountain, lake, scenic hill, or hidden trail. My personal favourites to walk through are the Kensington Gardens section of Hyde Park and the trails at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. But don’t miss out on many other great options like Hampstead Heath, Regent’s Park, and St.James Park, to name a few.

Outdoor Markets

A close runner-up to nature walks for me are walks through outdoor markets. Again, London is teeming with various options. Some fabulous markets will fit your vibe, whether you’re more interested in food markets or vintage finds. I’ve had a blast window shopping at all the one-of-a-kind shops in Camden Market and trying out different cuisines at Spitalfields Market. My list of favs also includes infamous markets like Portobello Road Market or Borough Market, as well as lesser-known options like Marketplace Vauxhall. Like I said, whatever vibe you’re going for – there’s a market that would be a ton of fun for you to walk through.

Interesting Neighbourhoods

Last but not least, one of the best ways to walk in London – is by simply picking an area and exploring it! I’ve done this alone and with friends, and it’s a great way to get to know the city or simply clear your head. So while I could give you some options for areas to check out, a more fun option is to simply search google maps and choose a neighbourhood for the day. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised wherever you end up.

I hope I’ve convinced you that walking is more exciting than it sounds! If you’re an avid walker – what are some of your favourite things to do when walking in London? If you’re not sold on walking, that’s okay too. Drop some tips for what to do during weekends in London.

Lola

My name is Lola Idowu, a master’s student from New York, studying Behavioural Science. Aside from my interest in human behaviour, I also love to read, try out new restaurants, and shop at local markets or boutiques.

Posted In: London life