Natallia

Lessons from my time at LSE

Natallia

Lessons from my time at LSE

Since arriving at LSE, I’ve learned a number of lessons, both in terms of academics and personal life.

A key lesson that I’ve learned is to lower my expectations of my grades. It’s difficult and almost impossible to reach the same scores that you did on work at school. This is particularly so in essay-based subjects, where your essay mark may be lower than what you’re used to. I’ve learnt that it is important to accept that university operates completely differently and to embrace this.

The next lesson stems off of this: do not put too much pressure on yourself. It’s very easy to get caught up in studies and the academic side of LSE. It’s essential that you carve out time for rest and hobbies and not let academia consume your life. I’ve learnt that there’s a fine line between hard work and overwork. It’s important to know where you personally draw the line as you’ll work at different rates to others. Comparing your schedule to others can be unhelpful for your own learning and welfare. Having to organise my own time and self-study has taught me self-motivation.

Similarly, I’ve learned that it can become easy to get swarmed in work and neglect the London life. I’ve repeatedly had to remind myself that I also chose LSE because of its location, not only the academics. It’s important to set aside time to explore your surroundings, as it’s unlikely that you’ll live in such a vibrant area again. You can explore the city while studying, enjoying some of the historic libraries and independent cafés. I’ve found walking around art galleries and museums to be an effective way to switch off from work and experience what London has to offer.

I’ve also learned that societies are a very important part of university. For me, being a part of the LSE Netball Club has been a fundamental part of my experience. I’ve found that doing a team sport has been very beneficial for my mental health. It’s given me both new friends and a routine for exercise. Doing netball in my first term has taught me that academia is not the only important part of university. In fact, having another commitment has forced me to be more efficient with my studies and tasks. I recommend continuing your hobbies or starting a new one to ensure that you live a balanced and healthy life.

My time at LSE has made me much more independent and responsible for my daily life. I’ve learnt to embrace the changes brought by university and face them head on. Being open minded to experiencing a completely new lifestyle makes it so much more exciting and you’ll only benefit from doing so.

Natallia

I am a first year undergraduate, studying BA History with Spanish. I am involved with many societies, such as the newspaper, netball and yoga. When I am not in the library, I love to explore London and find unusual new places.