Ramesh Kugendran

April 1st, 2023

LSE’s hidden gems: the best quiet places to hit the books

Ramesh Kugendran

April 1st, 2023

LSE, situated in the heart of Central London, is renowned for its vibrant atmosphere. Nevertheless on occasion, we need to retreat from our busy student lives, and finding a quiet place to study on campus can be tricky. But have no fear—after studying here for almost three years, I can attest that LSE has a number of undiscovered gems that offer a calm and productive study environment. Continue reading to learn about some of my top LSE study spots that are undiscovered but offer a place for you to wind down:

1. OLD: The Old Building

Although the name of the building says it all, it may not be the most aesthetically pleasing or modern-looking structure, but you can certainly find a quiet nook and escape from the crowds of LSE here. The Social Policy Common Room, which is only open to students in the Department of Social Policy, is one of my favourite spots in the Old Building. There are also common areas for other departments located here. As an alternative, there is a common area for all undergraduates on the fourth floor of the Old Building with hot water and microwave facilities.

2. NAB: The New Academic Building

Although I hesitated, I had to add this new modern building. Some of the best study spaces with the most breath-taking 360-degree views of the LSE campus are located on the 8th floor. In the summer, this was my go-to location because I found that watching the sunset while studying really changed my mood. Having said that, I have frequently discovered that it is challenging to sit here during busy times, as in the case of the Marshall Building.

3. 32L: 32 Lincoln’s Inn Fields

Oddly enough, despite taking many classes here, I didn’t begin studying here until the last semester of my second year. With its abundance of chairs and study spaces, the Lower Ground Floor has some of the best areas for group study sessions. Thanks to the comfortable chairs, I completed the vast bulk of my group-work presentation meetings here, and I’ve also frequently studied with my friends!

4. SAW: Saw Swee Hock Student Centre, Sheffield Street

Due to the busy atmosphere of the building, people usually steer clear of it, but the LSE Students’ Union, which is located on the second floor, has a number of study rooms and spaces available. Having said that, I personally wouldn’t enter this building if there was an event taking place: particularly during Welcome Week and other times, as it can quickly become quite busy. So, finding a spot at SAW may be easiest earlier in the day or after teaching is finished.

5. FAW: Fawcett House & PAN: Pankhurst House

These buildings are difficult to find, but once inside, you can find quiet chairs and study spaces outside many of the rooms. Additionally, the LSE campus is brilliantly visible from these seats, and there is plenty of natural light for all those long reading sessions! In spite of this, many lab and computer rooms are frequently quite empty, so if no class is in session, you might occasionally have the entire empty room to yourself.

Similar to you, I find it challenging to recall all of the names and locations of the buildings on campus, even though some of these names may sound familiar. You are welcome to use the campus map to find these locations and to follow the directions provided above to unwind and start studying. Please leave a comment in the section below if you have any questions about anything I’ve written above. Happy studying!

Discover our buildings.

Ramesh Kugendran

Welcome to my blog! I'm Ramesh Kugendran, a student of International Social and Public Policy at LSE. As someone who is passionate about Social and Public Policy, I am excited to share my thoughts, insights, and experiences on this blog. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

Posted In: Student life