Magdalena

April 15th, 2023

5 budget-friendly activities to do in London over the weekend

Magdalena

April 15th, 2023

Looking for ideas to fill out Saturdays and Sundays when you don’t have assignments but living on a student budget? I’ve certainly been there.

Fortunately, London is full of cool attractions that are completely free. Get inspired by my five ideas.

Walk in central London

For starters – an absolute classic. Explore London while getting some exercise and fresh air.

One of the ways to do it would be to start at St Paul’s Cathedral, cross the Millennium Bridge and go along the Thames up to the London Eye and Big Ben. From there, you cross Westminster Bridge back to the north side, go to Trafalgar Square and then to the LSE campus. Such a nice stroll should take you around an hour and lets you see some of the most iconic London landmarks. What’s more, this route is equally scenic during the day and night.

Go to the park

In a similar spirit, you can go to one of London’s majestic parks. The biggest and most famous one is naturally Hyde Park, but there are plenty of other options. Moreover, during weekends, there are often some special events, installations, or open festivals going on.

You can also choose some of the more interesting and off-the-beaten-track options to spice things up. For example, a few weeks ago, I made a trip with my flatmates to Crystal Palace to see the dinosaurs. While we were there, we also found sphinxes, a tower reminding us of the Eiffel Tower and some art installations left after the Chinese New Year which inspired us to have a fun photoshoot at the location.

Explore London’s markets

London is home to some of the most vibrant markets in the world, including Camden Market, Portobello Road Market, Columbia Road Flower Market and Borough Market but also smaller local ones. They are usually buzzing and crowded – a nice vibe for a Sunday afternoon.

You can take a leisurely stroll and explore various foods and drinks from diverse world cuisines, handicrafts, unique pieces, second-hand object Each market has its unique offerings. And they don’t have to be expensive. I have once randomly come across a street market and found great vinyl records for one or two pounds each.

Visit museums

London houses some of the most important world works of art and other artifacts, relics, and objects which you can see for free. Immerse yourself in history and culture by visiting London’s iconic museums.

If you’re an art lover, you might be interested in the National Gallery, Tate Britain or Tate Modern. If you’re interested in science, go to the Science Museum. For a fashion enthusiast, there’s the Victoria and Albert Museum. The list is long, and everyone can find something suitable for them.

Attend a free event

There are plenty of seasonal events happening each week that you can attend for free. Whether a carolling concert in winter or open-air yoga in a park when it gets warmer, in a city like London, there’s always something going on.

I recommend checking websites dedicated to events in London every Monday, for example, to stay up-to-date with exciting opportunities. Following this rule, I found out about a wonderful light show in the Tower of London last November!

Magdalena

Hi, I’m Magda, a Sociology master’s student coming from Poland. I’m interested in the issues of class and social stratification as well as history, which I studied for my undergraduate degree. I have an artistic soul and enjoy literature, cinema and theatre.

Posted In: Money