Lola

June 24th, 2023

Explore London’s art scene: musical theatre edition

Lola

June 24th, 2023

London is one of the major art centres of the world. Accordingly, it offers some of the best musicals in the world. Luckily, I’ve gone to two musicals since I moved to London. Both were an incredible experience, worth the time and money. Therefore, an activity I would recommend is taking some time to find a musical you may enjoy and heading to Covent Garden to experience the beauty of musical theatre. 

The first musical I saw soon after moving to this city was a classic – The Lion King. I admit I’ve already seen all of the Lion King movies, the live-action Lion King film, and Lion King on Broadway in New York City. However, there’s something magical about what the Lion King represents and seeing it one more time did not disappoint. This time, the smaller theatre setting added an extra layer of intimacy, so I felt especially connected. Whereas in New York, Broadway theatres are often the size of a football field, this was a much more intimate experience, causing me to feel even more connected to the characters and the story.

The other musical I attended was one I had never seen before – Mamma Mia! The Musical. I had seen the movie countless times, but the transition from screen to live performance brought an entirely different dimension to the story, completely elevating the experience. Once again, the experience felt extra special given the intimate size of the crowd and the fact that the show was so interactive. Guests were invited to sing along to some of the more popular songs and even encouraged to stand and dance along. 

Overall, my experience with musical theatre in London is limited, but I can confidently recommend adding a theatre visit to your to-do list. As for me, I’m looking to see even more shows during my time here. So drop a comment with any musicals or shows you’d recommend! 

Lola

My name is Lola Idowu, a master’s student from New York, studying Behavioural Science. Aside from my interest in human behaviour, I also love to read, try out new restaurants, and shop at local markets or boutiques.

Posted In: London life