Harriet

May 14th, 2024

Why should you study a PhD in International History at LSE?

Harriet

May 14th, 2024

For PhD students, it’s pretty much impossible to overstate the importance of choosing the right programme. Not only must you commit to spending four years in one place, but you also have to decide who it is that you’d like to supervise your research journey. As a PhD student in the Department of International History at LSE, I took my decision to study here seriously – and I can’t recommend it enough. Whilst there’s a lot to be said for doing your research and choosing a programme that’s right for you, I’m going to share just a few of the reasons why I believe LSE is the best place in the UK to undertake a PhD in International History. Maybe I’m biased or maybe I’m right – but let’s allow the facts to speak for themselves.

The Department of International History encourages a modern and global perspective

If you’re a modern historian considering a PhD application, you may have encountered the same challenges that I did. Approaching multiple universities with my research proposal, I was told time and time again that my work would be better suited to a programme in international relations or political science. With my research on the depiction of Islam in Western media that focused largely in the 21st century, many academics found it difficult to recognise the “historical” element within my topic.

This is where LSE comes in. With the Department of International History seeking to challenge traditional conceptions of the discipline, the contemporary nature of my research wasn’t treated as an issue, but rather celebrated as an example of the kind of historical scholarship that the School prioritises. If you’re someone interested in modern, international or “unconventional” histories, you’d be hard-pressed to find a department better suited to your needs.

LSE is home to an incredible faculty

Life as a PhD student is unique. Not only are you taught by academics, but you’re also encouraged to work alongside them. At LSE, early-career researchers are treated as an integral part of the department. Whether attending book launches of LSE professors, catching up over coffee on campus, or discussing the content of a public lecture attended by staff and PhDs alike, I’ve been consistently impressed by the opportunities for interaction between us and faculty. When you’re working and surrounded so closely with academics that inspire you (and learning tips and tricks of the trade as you do so) it’s so special. The strength of the faculty is one of the many reasons I chose to study at LSE. My professors are leaders in their respective fields – and learning from them is such a privilege.

Studying here sets you up for the future

Embarking on a PhD in International History at LSE opens doors to exceptional career prospects. The School’s distinguished reputation, ensures its graduates are sought after by some of the world’s leading institutions. For example, alumni of my programme have ventured into international media, British politics, the financial sector, and professorships at universities across the world. Choosing to study at the School allows me to consider several different options for my future career whilst building relationships with my peers.

LSE is one of the best universities in the world

Although reputation isn’t everything, there’s no denying its importance. LSE’s consistently ranked as one of the best universities in the world, according to the Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings 2024. Not only does its stellar reputation enhance your career prospects, but LSE’s impressive research funding and outstanding facilities also impact the quality of students the School attracts. My peers are some of the most talented, interesting, and accomplished individuals I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. When the university ranks highly, so do its students.

Harriet

Hi! I'm a PhD candidate in the Department of International History. Having earned both a BA and MA from LSE, I'm *arguably* London’s biggest fan... and a self-proclaimed expert on the best food in the city!

Posted In: Applying: PhD