Miranda

May 16th, 2024

“There is one imposter among us…”: how to deal with feelings of not being good enough

Miranda

May 16th, 2024

As a highly ranked university, LSE attracts a lot of talented, hard working and intelligent students. This facilitates interesting conversations and debates. However, an intellectually stimulating environment can foster academic pressure and feelings that you’re not good enough to be there: imposter syndrome.

During my first few weeks at LSE, I really struggled with imposter syndrome. I’m pursuing a master’s programme that’s quite different from my bachelor’s, so I didn’t have a lot of previous background in the subject. Moreover, as a postgraduate student, a lot my peers in my programme had previous work experience, or multiple previous higher education qualifications. This made me question whether I really belonged, or whether I’d do well in my programme. If you’re experience this same feeling, it’s important to know that it’s completely normal. Many others are also facing the same challenge. Here are a few tips on how you can overcome imposter syndrome at LSE.

1. Remember, you’re here for a reason

Whenever I have these feelings, I try to remember that I was admitted to LSE, just like everyone else. This has helped to remind me of my own capabilities. You’ve endured a rigorous application process and have been evaluated against numerous other candidates. If the Undergraduate Admissions Team has concluded that you’re well suited to study your programme and manage the academic workload, you should know that you’re more than capable. Although you don’t need an admissions team — or anyone else for that matter! — to tell you that you’re good enough, it can be helpful to remind yourself that you’ve made it here. Be proud of yourself!

2. Talk to people

As time went by and I became more comfortable, I remember telling my friends about some of the insecurities I had at the beginning of the year. I realised that a lot of people were struggling with the same feelings! It was eye-opening to discover that the people I was comparing myself to, were similarly assessing themselves against me and other peers. Retrospectively, I found myself wishing I talked to people sooner and spared myself feeling a lot academic pressure. By reaching out and sharing your insecurities with your peers, you’ll realise that you’re definitely not alone and it might give you an opportunity to get closer to people.

3. Reach out for support

Whilst the two tips above worked out well for me, imposter syndrome can manifest itself differently for everyone, therefore, the effectiveness of you overcome it can vary as well. I’d like to emphasise that if your low self-esteem so much so impacts your day-to-day life, there’s no shame in reaching out for support. LSE offers a range of services that can help you with a variety of challenges you may face whilst studying at LSE. Firstly, LSE Sudent Wellbeing Service works with you to support your wellbeing throughout your studies. They offer a range of services, including one-to-one counselling appointments, peer support and workshops you can sign up to. These can help you navigate through your academic studies whilst building your confidence. You can also reach out to your Academic Mentor, who can provide guidance and coaching on the wide range of academic and pastoral topics, and point you in the right direction.

To summarise, feeling imposter syndrome is completely normal, especially at such a prestigious university like LSE. Remember that comparison is the thief of joy. You earned your spot here  just like everybody else! Open conversations with your friends about your concerns, and don’t be afraid to explore the wide range of student wellbeing services offered at LSE.

Miranda

Hi! I’m Miranda, a Norwegian Master’s student at LSE. I am currently studying International Development and Humanitarian Emergencies, and I have a background in anthropology and sociology. I love to travel and learn about and experience new cultures. My hobbies include reading, exploring the city, crocheting and hiking!