Caitlin Rieuwerts

October 26th, 2022

Meet your Student Volunteering Ambassadors 2022-23

Caitlin Rieuwerts

October 26th, 2022

Each academic year, we recruit a group of Student Volunteering Ambassadors who are enthusiastic about sharing their passion for volunteering with the rest of the student body, and to inspire more students to volunteer during their time at university. Throughout the year they’ll be sharing insights into their volunteering experiences and their thoughts on the volunteering sector through our blogs, Instagram page and at our in-person events. 

Here are this year’s Ambassadors to introduce themselves…

Jingtong (Bella) Lu (BSc Mathematics, Statistics and Business)   

Hi! My name is Jingtong, and you can also call me Bella. I’m a second-year Mathematics, Statistics and Business student at LSE.Volunteering has played an important role in the last year as my volunteering experience makes me feel more included and confident, and it allows me to learn and explore more, such as LGBT+ groups and refugees. I believe that volunteering does have a positive effect on our lives, and I would like to share the benefits and my experience of volunteering with more people to inspire their participation as a student volunteer ambassador.

Maya Kaul (BSc Economics)

I’m Maya, a third year economics student. I began volunteering during my first year at LSE through the Community Engagement Programme in which I carried out a consultancy project for a charity client. Throughout my second year I volunteered as an educational mentor for Salusbury World, an organisation that supports refugee and migrant families, which I found enjoyable and a great complement to my studies. This year I plan to continue this role while taking on new ones, hopefully including both one-off and long term opportunities. I’m excited to be a volunteering ambassador this year for the second time because of how rewarding my experience with volunteering has been, and I hope to help the Volunteer Centre encourage other students to engage with the wonderful opportunities available to them.

Anushka Patel (BSc Anthropology and Law)

Hi, I’m Anushka! I am a third-year Anthropology and Law student. I am really excited to be a student volunteering ambassador this year as I believe that taking the time to help others is extremely fulfilling and rewarding! I have been a volunteer at Radio Harrow – which is a local community radio station that is part of Northwick Park Hospital – for four years. During my time as a presenter and patient-visitor, I have been able to experience first-hand the positive impact voluntary work can have. I am looking forward to organising and participating in volunteering events this year and can’t wait to get stuck in! If you have any questions about volunteering opportunities, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at a.patel66@lse.ac.uk.

Yaasir Suleiman (LLB Law)

Hi, my name is Yaasir and I am joining the team as a final-year Law student. I am so excited to kickstart this academic year with the Student Volunteering Ambassador team. I believe that there is a role in volunteering for everyone and I cannot wait to show the diverse opportunities available. Volunteering is a great way to broaden your connections, make a difference in your community and take on new challenges. Alongside this role, I am also a student ambassador for Holocaust Educational Trust and aim to work with grassroots initiatives to help disadvantaged students in my local community. I look forward to helping plan some big volunteering events in the coming terms so keep a lookout at the Centre and our blogs!

Mary Ann Macdonald (BSc International Relations and History)

Hi, I’m Mary Ann! I am a first year International Relations and History student. I’m super excited to be an SVA this year. Volunteering has transformed my life, so I am eager to help students also get involved with causes that they care about and expand their skills. As I am a wheelchair user, I remember being hesitant a few years ago to start volunteering, so I’d particularly love to help address any accessibility concerns you may have. Right now, I volunteer with CAFOD, which is an international development charity. I help with their social media communications and administration. It allows me to connect with real world problems in my own little way. With all the issues in the world, it can be easy to get overwhelmed and feel like we cannot fix them all. But I believe we can all at least do something, and do it very well, so it’s a step along the way to a better place. And, together, all our little actions can amount to great change.

I would love to chat with you about volunteering or ideas for our campaigns – so please feel free to contact me via my email (m.a.macdonald@lse.ac.uk) or talk to me on campus!

Zeyad Salah (BSc Management)

Hi, my name is Zeyad Salah and I am a student volunteering ambassador for the 22/23 academic year. Some of my hobbies include football, tennis, entrepreneurship, and charity. I have been involved in several charity drives as well as developing my own social enterprise and hope to get even more involved with everyone at LSE this year.

Hibah Rizman (BSc International Relations and History)

My name is Hibah Rizwan and I am a second year IR and History. I decided to become a volunteering ambassador this year because I wanted to spread my passion for volunteering amongst the LSE community, and make sure that it is include and accommodating for all. Volunteering has allowed me to give back to my own community, along with helping me get to know so many others, and I’m excited to share the positives of volunteering with the student body.

Freya Thompson (MSc Development Studies)

I’m studying a master’s in Development Studies and have doing a range of volunteering since I was in sixth form, ranging from helping out at Christmas Outreach centres for Crisis UK, to researching and writing for WONDER Foundation, to being heavily involved on the committee of LSESU lacrosse club throughout my undergrad. Volunteering has and remains a huge part of my student experience and has allowed me to meet so many wonderful people, as well as shape my career interests and passions.

Josephine Precetti (BSc Economic History and Geography)

Hi! My name is Josephine. I’m a third year Economic History and Geography student. A highlight of this past year has been my volunteering experience with the Climate Investment Coalition for the annual Climate Investment Summit at the London Stock Exchange back in June. Taking on the role of Student Volunteering Ambassador this year, I hope to show that you can easily find and match with the right volunteering opportunity that is made for you. In this near-perfect volunteering market, you can play your competitive advantage, diversify your skillset, and maximize impact in a sector you are passionate about all at the same time. I look forward to sharing my enthusiasm for giving back, to helping design and implement creative strategies to stimulate involvement in volunteering at the LSE, and to helping you find Your Volunteering Opportunity. Stay smart, sleep & eat well, and of course, volunteer;)

Sabah Ahmed (LLB Law)

Hi, I’m Sabah! I am a second year LLB Law student and I’m really excited to be a SVA this year. Sometimes students may not understand the importance of volunteering for both the wider society and their own skill development. Given that I am passionate about making a positive difference and change, I look forward to encouraging other students to do the same by volunteering, as well as emphasising the importance of doing so!

Sarah Onifade (BSc International Relations)

Hi, I am Sarah. I am a 2nd year international relations student and I am extremely excited to be a student volunteer ambassador this year. I have been volunteering since my early teens in various positions from helping in a charity show for Human Appeal to recently assisting in my local food pantry.

Volunteering has allowed me to live by an love ethic ( I’m a big bell hooks fan ) . It has enabled me to feel more connected to others and find community. Volunteering has given me opportunities to make a positive change in my area and made me more knowledgeable of the everyday impact of injustices. I hope to encourage other students to view volunteering as something worthwhile and also pursue to live by a love ethic.

Yinglan Jiang (BSc Financial Mathematics and Statistics)

Hi, I’m Yinglan. I’m a third year Financial Mathematics and Statistics student. I’m excited to be a Student Volunteering Ambassador this year and share my volunteering experience. I was a Mathematics tutor with Team Up last year and this experience was beneficial to both my academic and personal development. Being as a volunteer is a very good opportunity for everyone to develop their skills and I hope everyone can enjoy it.

Miriam Tzannatos (BSc International Social Policy and Politics) 

Hi everyone! I’m Mariam. I’m so excited to be a SVA this year because I’m looking forward to sharing my previous experiences volunteering in the Middle East and East Asia and heading yours. I most enjoyed volunteering at a school with Syrian refugees in Lebanon and it taught me so much. As a SVA I hope to help change misconceptions students at LSE have that volunteering comes second to profit-making opportunities, rather, it is a non-dichotomous relationship between the two. I’m looking forward to meeting and working with everyone this year.

Helen Bourne (BSc International Social and Public Policy)

Hi, I’m Helen. I am looking forward to being a volunteer ambassador and to sharing my passion for volunteering. I have a particular interest in increasing youth voice within the charitable sector, in encouraging young people to advocate for themselves, and in enabling youth voice to be at the heart of decisions which affect them. I hope to raise awareness of the many personal and societal benefits of volunteering, to inspire more students to get involved, and to support them in finding a role which is right for them.

Have your ambassadors inspired you to volunteer already? Check out all of the volunteering opportunities you can get involved in on CareerHub! You can also book a one-to-one with David Coles, the Volunteer Centre Manager if you have more questions. And why not follow us on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date with our events and opportunities and read our blog for more volunteering tips and stories.

Caitlin Rieuwerts

Posted In: Information