Rhea Bhatnagar

Guest Blog: Volunteering at the 2023 London Student Sustainability Conference

Rhea Bhatnagar

In this blogpost, Rhea (MSc Environmental Economics and Climate Change) tells us more about her experience volunteering at the London Student Sustainability Conference. Specifically, she reflects on how meaningful it was to volunteer at an event which connects so closely to her area of study. 

The London Student Sustainability Conference (LSSC) has come and gone, and what an exciting adventure it was!

Hello, my name is Rhea and I’m thrilled to be writing this blog for you. As a master’s candidate at the LSE’s environmental economics and climate change program, I am someone who is very passionate about climate action and sustainable development. I had the wonderful opportunity of volunteering at the LSSC, and I am excited to share my experience with you!

The LSSC is an annual conference that brings together students from different universities across London to showcase their research and initiatives aimed at leaving a positive mark on the planet. I came across the LSSC on the LSE’s sustainability Instagram page (@sustainablelse) and instantly knew it was an opportunity I didn’t want to miss out on. I mean a day full of stimulating talks, poster presentations, reusable coffee cups and solar-powered smiles? That’s an opportunity I can’t let pass me by.

I volunteered during the second half of the event, which allowed me plenty of time to attend talks and meet students leading change in their area of expertise in the morning. I was especially fascinated by the potential for bamboo biomass energy, and the long distance we still have to cover in terms of sustainable fashion.

During my shift, I helped guide students to their respective workshops and interviewed presenters and attendees to gauge their experience of the event. Volunteering at the LSSC was an immensely rewarding experience. Not only did I get the chance to learn more about sustainability, teamwork and event management, but I also got to connect with people who share my zest for a sustainable economy. From the presenters who shared their vast knowledge on seemingly niche but important fields, to the audience who asked insightful questions and enthusiastically contributed to the discussion, to my fellow volunteers turned friends who helped create a comfortable atmosphere, the event was a resounding success.

I feel so grateful to be able to be a part of a wonderful community of eco-warriors. Here are some of my biggest key takeaways from the event that you and I can easily incorporate into our lives:

• Try introducing more plant-based meals into your diet – you will feel the impact not just on the planet but on your health as well!
  • Support local and sustainable businesses whenever possible.
  • Try to opt for public transport or walk whenever possible.
  • Push for sustainable initiatives within your workplace.
  • Reusable cups and straws are your best friends.

Remember, a sustainable lifestyle isn’t about perfection, it’s about progress. Whichever step/s you choose to follow, know that you are making a change in the right direction. Attending LSSC23, with hundreds of students all interested in sustainability, reminded me that all our seemingly small contributions and efforts can add up, and left me hopeful for change.

So, here’s to the 2023 LSSC and here’s to making a difference one conference at a time!

Find out more about what LSE is doing to be more sustainable on our webpage. You can also follow us on Instagram or Twitter. The London Student Sustainability Conference took place on 20 February at Kings College, London. It’s a collaborative event run by ten London universities including LSE, and we had over 35 students share their sustainability-focused work. The event recordings are available on Youtube.

If Rhea has inspired you to volunteer, check out one of our other ongoing opportunities or book a one-to-one with David Coles, the Volunteer Centre Manager if you have more questions. And why not follow us on Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date with our events and opportunities and read our blog for more volunteering tips and stories. 

Rhea Bhatnagar

MSc Environmental Economics and Climate Change

Posted In: Volunteer Experiences