Sienna Tan

May 4th, 2023

Guest Blog: Sienna and the flashmob

Sienna Tan

May 4th, 2023

Guest Blog: Sienna and the flashmob

In this blogpost, Sienna (Bsc International Social and Public Policy) tells us about her volunteering experience on campus with the Economic Relief Foodbank. In particular, she offers us a personal insight on how meaningful it was for her to take part in doing good deeds while relating to her passion for music and singing. 

Volunteering is an incredibly fulfilling experience that can make a positive impact on the lives of those in need. Recently, I had the opportunity to volunteer in supporting the Waterloo Foodbank by using my passion for singing to raise awareness. In this blog post, I will share my experience and the impact it had on me and the community.

The Waterloo Foodbank is a charitable organisation as part of the Trussell’s Trust Foodbank network, which aims to help low-income citizens by providing them basic necessities during the cost-of-living crisis. In the Michaelmas term, joined by the LSE volunteering centre, student ambassadors have taken part in this initiative by creating a Food Drive and raise awareness in the Marshall Building.

Being a member in the LSE choir, I knew I had to get involved as soon as I heard about the ‘flashmob’ event organized by the LSE Volunteering Centre, which aims to promote the Economic Relief Food campaign in partnership with the Waterloo Foodbank. The idea of combining music, dance, and visual arts to support such an important cause was simply too good to pass up.

I eagerly signed up to be one of the singers needed for the flashmob, and soon found myself rehearsing the song ‘We are the World’ by Michael Jackson with the rest of the group. There were four of us rehearsing twice a week. Perhaps the biggest challenge in doing a flashmob is it asks us to sing in a different way. After being used to sing in a classical style, switching to a pop style was completely new to some of us, let alone the pressure of having some solo parts in front of potentially a large audience.

As the day of the flashmob approached, I couldn’t help but feel a little nervous. We did a run-through in Marshall building and added choreography with Dance Society prior to the show day. Luckily, as soon as the music began, all my worries melted away. People in Marshall stopped in their tracks and stared in amazement as we performed our routine. I saw them filming, a crowd gradually forming, even in the floors above. The show turned out to be a success. When they cheered and clapped, I felt a surge of pride – a different type of pride than what you get from casual choir performances.

Looking back on that day, I realise that being part of a flashmob isn’t just about performing in public; it’s about coming together with like-minded individuals to support a common cause and using our collective talents and creativity to make a real difference in the world. The flashmob fundraising was done alongside a food drive, i.e., collection points set up across campus to collect specific sanitary and food items that were needed by the Partnering charity, and has eventually collected over £170. I feel honoured to have been part of such a unique and inspiring event, and I can’t wait to see what other opportunities for volunteering and community involvement the LSE Volunteering Centre has in store.

If Sienna has inspired you to volunteer, check out one of our other ongoing opportunities or book a one-to-one with David Coles, the Volunteer Centre Manager if you have more questions. And why not follow us on Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date with our events and opportunities and read our blog for more volunteering tips and stories. 

Sienna Tan

BSc International Social and Public Policy

Posted In: Volunteer Experiences