Speaking at Polis The Guardian’s Emily Bell warned of ‘carnage’ over the next two years for the British media industry. Five national newspapers could go and the BBC could be left as the only British-woned broadcaster. She said it was a ‘worst case scenario’ but the evidence comes in daily that the recession will hit newspapers and TV when it really hurts – just while they are adjusting to all the other changes from new technology and changing audience behaviour. Here are today’s canaries in the coal mine.
- Free newspapers are laying people off
- Ofcom warns BBC that it may lose funding to support other broadcasters
- Local radio group goes bust
- 1000 jobs to go at Yahoo!
- Hyperlocal ‘can’t make money’ warns community website
Do I need to go on?
Is this the only thing that can cheer me up?