Carolina Bernal

September 30th, 2021

Through thick and thin: navigating the graduate labour market

Carolina Bernal

September 30th, 2021

Are you asking yourself what would be the next step in your life after graduation? Or are you struggling to find a job?

Whether you are a graduating bachelor’s or master’s degree student, thinking about engaging in the labour market can be frightening. Looking for potential employers, writing CV’s and cover letters, and trying to remain optimistic after receiving multiple rejections, is a whole overwhelming and exhausting process. However, looking at how others started their professional journey can serve as guidance and give you some ideas on how to achieve your career goals.

I had the opportunity to speak to Jose Puyana, regional director of ProColombia in Europe, Colombia’s agency responsible for promoting international trade, investment and tourism. In this post he shares with us how he discovered his career path and some useful advice for graduating students who are currently looking for jobs.

Source: Jose Puyana

Can you tell us about your personal career development? 

Jose: Since I was at secondary school, I have been very keen on history and political affairs, as a youngster I also participated in many UN models which helped me discover my interest in the field of international relations. As a natural consequence, I chose to do a bachelor’s degree in International Relations and Political Science and then a master’s in Latin American studies. Subsequently, I worked in the international affairs department of different government ministries in Colombia. One day I was contacted by a head-hunter for a senior position in the UN, as I had also done an internship at the Colombian Mission to the UN (in New York) during my undergraduate degree. Working at the UN was a life-changing experience for me, it allowed me to work in different sectors and to contribute to Colombia’s poverty reduction and capacity development efforts. I also had amazing experiences, such a short period in Afghanistan, contributing to power transition.

After almost ten years in managerial roles in different organisations, I decided to do another master’s degree, this time in Public Policy at the University of Oxford. I wanted to take a year off work to rethink my career path. There, I realized I wanted to use my skills in public affairs to promote a stronger, and more impactful, interaction between the public and the private sectors.

And that’s what I have been up to for the last four years. After finishing my master’s degree at Oxford, I started working for the Colombian Embassy to the UK, which allowed me to transition to my current job as ProColombia’s regional director for Europe, where I have the opportunity to directly support firms interested in doing business in and with Colombia.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a career in the international field?

I think the most outstanding advantage of the field is that it is very versatile as it can fit into various sectors. However, this also implies a challenge because it is hard to show that you have a focus on a specific area, or that you are a sector specialist. Another way of looking at it is that, in this field, you get to develop many soft skills which are currently in demand in the labour market; however, it can be tricky to easily sell those skills to potential recruiters. In that sense, being confident of your skills and capabilities and learning how to present them to employers is crucial. Nowadays, many public and private organizations have a department fully dedicated to international or corporate affairs; these areas usually demand talent with these sorts of skills, so they present a very valuable opportunity for any graduate in the field of international relations across different sectors and industries.

You must be aware of your skills. Work hard on your CV and cover letter to sell yourself in the labour market!

How can graduating students compensate for their lack of professional experience? 

Jose: Engaging in different extracurricular activities such as volunteering, joining a society at your university or writing a blog can show employers that you have gained valuable skills for a job. There are also other mechanisms that can contribute to skills development such as getting certified on a specific topic and leveraging all of the alternatives provided by online learning. Additionally, participating in community building projects such as Teach First, or their equivalents in other countries, can also be very useful. These platforms provide a great experience and allow graduates to connect with the best employers in the market, such as big consulting firms.

One of the most valuable assets that can help you compensate for the lack of experience as a graduate, especially in any the field of international relations, is the ability to speak several languages, which can certainly open doors in many industries.

Being able to speak multiple languages can open a million doors.

What advice would you give to graduating students who are having problems in getting a job offer?

The most important thig is to have a clear path ahead, defined goals and a strategy. There are four key elements you must consider when applying for jobs:

Define your objectives: What do you see yourself doing? Which sectors you are interested in? What are your short-term and long-term goals?

Know the sector: Most people start looking for jobs without studying the sector in which they want to work in. It is important that you identify which companies or organizations are the key actors in the industry. Learn about what they are doing and how they manage their recruitment processes. Look at which companies usually employ graduates and reach out to them.

Know who you are: Be aware of which are your soft and hard skills. Study them and be ready to sell them to potential employers. You can ask your professors, previous employers or colleagues what skills they see in you as it is hard to define these by yourself. Come up with an engaging story to pitch these skills with recruiters, your story will help you stand out from the crowd.

Networking: Having a good CV and cover letter is not enough. Networking is crucial as the vast majority of jobs are found through networking. You can use channels like LinkedIn to reach out to people who are working in the organization you are interested in. Let them know you want to learn about their experience, most people will respond positively.

Job hunting is not easy so one must have a clear strategy.

Three students hold up red LSE letters

Carolina Bernal

Carolina recently graduated from LSE with an MSc in Development Management. She currently works in the international development sector. Her primary research interests are social entrepreneurship and business sustainability.

Posted In: Developing Your Career