Dowon Kim

Meet a Student Futures Ambassador: Dowon Kim

Dowon Kim

What are you studying?

BSc International Relations and History, Year 3

Why did you want to become a Student Futures Ambassador?

I’ve been able to get in touch with various extra-curricular opportunities through LSE which have helped me to explore my passions and interests beyond the classroom. I believe that there are endless opportunities at LSE that students can take advantage of, which offer valuable skills and knowledge that can support them in their academic career and beyond. I wanted to share these experiences with LSE students as a Student Futures Ambassador by signposting peers to resources and opportunities that will help them to make an impact on the world.

What theme are you focusing on and why did you choose that theme?

I am focusing on the theme ‘Developing your Career’ – helping students to further their career goals and explore various work experiences during university. I chose to work on this theme because I have been able to get in touch with amazing opportunities through LSE Careers, which has helped me to identify and narrow down my career ambitions throughout my time at LSE. LSE Careers offers valuable support for students including 1:1 consultation, practice interviews, micro internships programmes, and online resources through Career Hub. As an ambassador, I would like to help promote these opportunities that have helped me to feel more confident about my career path.

What activities do you enjoy most related to that theme?

In my free time, I intern with the WONDER Foundation, a UK-based NGO that provides women across the globe with quality education and access to good work. I was able to find this opportunity through Career Hub towards the end of my first year, and I have been able to gain valuable work experience and soft skills as well as insight into the non-governmental sector and international development work. As a Communications Intern, I have facilitated research on WONDER’s partner projects and countries, led workshops on safe migration and digital storytelling, and created promotional films for WONDER’s campaigns.

Do you have any words of wisdom for students interested in getting involved in activities related to your theme?

I would encourage students to dig into the various online and offline resources offered by LSE Careers as there are so many opportunities tailored to your interests and goals. One of the services that I would highly recommend to students is the 1:1 career consultation appointment, which LSE students can access four times per term. Our expert career consultants can guide you through anything from CVs and cover letters to job searches.

Note: This article gives the views of the authors, and not the position of the Student Futures Blog, nor of the London School of Economics.

Dowon Kim

My name is Dowon, and I’m in my third year of International Relations and History. I’ve previously lived in Dubai, Seoul, and Istanbul before coming to London.

Posted In: Developing Your Career