givnish

December 19th, 2013

Reflections on a first term at LSE

1 comment

givnish

December 19th, 2013

Reflections on a first term at LSE

1 comment

As the days grow colder and the sun sets earlier, I begin to reflect upon the near completion of my first term at LSE.  It has certainly been a whirlwind of new academics, budding friendships and amazing activities.  From the very first moment I stepped off the plane at Heathrow to now (over 9 weeks later) I knew that my life would change drastically.

After taking up residence at Northumberland Hall in the heart of London, I was oblivious to the awed reactions I would receive when telling people I live off of Trafalgar Square.  Yet that reaction is certainly justified, considering Big Ben, the London Eye and Buckingham Palace are all fixtures in my neighborhood.  Dodging photo snapping tourists on my morning runs has now become a habit.  The clubs and societies I’ve joined have been a great experience as well.  I’ve tasted the wines of Burgundy with the Wine Tasting Society, gone to pub quizzes with the Grimshaw International Relations Society, and (soon) will travel to Romania with the Travel Club!  All of these stellar events act as complements to the rich academic environment LSE has to offer.

Just last night I attended a lecture on the failures of the austerity measures being put forth around Europe, which was greatly interesting.  All of these titbits serve alongside my fantastic ability to be able to study at the LSE.  I am studying one government class in sustainability policy, an IR class about foreign policy analysis, an economics class about global economic policy, and an economic history class about the history of economics since the industrial revolution.  Each has a uniquely specific focus that allows me to harrow into my interests in a more specific way than the usual university.

Of course, in addition to the LSE’s official title of the London School of Economics and Political Science, I have also discovered that it can also stand for “Let’s See Europe.”  Since I’ve arrived here I’ve been able to travel to Wales, Scotland, Paris and Amsterdam, with more exciting travels planned for winter and spring.  To sum everything up, my experience has been amazing thus far, and I know it will only continue.  London, the LSE, my clubs and travels are all moulding into an unforgettable year.

givnish

Posted In: LSE | News | Off Campus