Marina Leban

The candy shop…

Marina Leban

The candy shop…

The other day, with my co-partner course representative, we organized an informal alumni event and invited a girl who recently graduated from our course. The purpose was to have a small gathering in which she would talk about her past experience as an LSE student and give some advice on future job-hunting. I remember her saying that LSE was like a “candy shop”; a place where there were so many interesting courses available that it was hard to make up your mind. I don’t know, but for some reason that word really got me thinking.

She is totally right, LSE is like a candy shop, the optional courses that we are allowed to take in different departments, allow us to have a broader understanding of social sciences by being multi-disciplinary. It is also a candy shop for many other things; for the places you can go eat for instance: I am always hesitating if I should go to the Garrick because they serve English Breakfast tea in a large cup and have amazing home baked cookies and muffins, or if I prefer to go to the Fourth Floor Café bar because they are probably the only café on campus that offers wine and large pieces of organic cake.

More seriously, it goes without saying that it’s the same when you have to choose which societies you want to join. I joined many during Michaelmas Term, not only to realize that there were other potential societies that interested me and that I didn’t really know of before Lent Term. Most of my course mates joined more than ten societies not only because they are almost all inspiring but also because no one can really make their mind when it comes to choosing.

LSE is a candy shop, and we can’t choose which candy we want to eat, so as postgraduates, we end up trying to eat all of the candies before leaving this fantastic university, with a taste of sweetness and at the same time bitterness…

Marina Leban

MSc Organisational and Social Psychology

Posted In: LSE