shahmn

The First Mile

shahmn

The First Mile

LSE. These are three prestigious letters in Kenya, the country I come from. It is a highly regarded institution in the world, but in a country where poverty persists in large figures, its’ reputation is unbelievable. This in itself motivated me in starting life at the LSE as a student.

A picture of Mishaal and friends out exploring London at night

Arriving in High Holborn, and having the view of Domino’s right outside my window I wondered how life could be any better. Kenya doesn’t boast the wide variety of multinational cuisines and restaurants available in London. No matter if it is a cold day for some Japanese soup at Wagamama’s or a late night out and a lifesaving McDonald’s burger, Holborn itself has it all.

My great interest in drinks led me to visit the The Craft Beer Co. and no matter whether you like beer or not, they have one perfectly tailored for you! All kinds of beer are on offer and it is definitely one of the places to go and have a pint after a long day.

Mishaal's picture of clubbing in London

One of the best experiences of my first week was going clubbing in London, may it be the RAG events or Milkshake. The nightlife in this city is absolutely bustling and it does seem like a city that never sleeps. Unfortunately, I cannot give you more details on my nights out because, well, I don’t remember them quite that clearly. However, I assure you, I did have a good time. No regrets!

In my short time as a university student, I have been able to differentiate the lifestyle in London and back home. Charity is one of my key goals, and having been involved in many various projects in Kenya, London has given me something to think about. The LSE Volunteering Fair opened my eyes as to how well organisations are structured here unlike back home. If similar concepts are imposed in LEDCs, then poverty can be aided significantly.

Being the son of an LSE Alumni, I cannot wait to embark on a journey that he told me promises so much.

shahmn

Posted In: London life | Student life