Sahima

January 2nd, 2020

How to positively survive the competitive environment at LSE

1 comment | 15 shares

Estimated reading time: 1 minute

Sahima

January 2nd, 2020

1 comment | 15 shares

Estimated reading time: 1 minute

I remember my first few weeks at LSE, they were marred by chaos, overwhelming emotions, exhaustion and a sense of fear. I felt intimidated by my brilliant classmates, their excellent academic background and impressive practical work experience. In many instances, I found my self not participating in class due to the fear of sounding dumb.

But during this mental turmoil, someone very dear to me explained, that – “if you enter a classroom with the sense of competing with everyone, then you lose the battle even before it begins. “

This line constantly played on my mind and I spent the next few days deeply reflecting on it. Soon things began to change and I could see what lied beyond the competition. The LSE classroom space, which at one point instilled a sense of fear now became a source of inspiration and path towards personal improvement. I viewed my classmates as exemplary individuals who had the potential to help me grow, think critically and develop world-changing ideas.

In this blog post, I am sharing a few positive steps that you can take to address the competitive environment and deal with it effectively:

Talk to your mentors/ professors: Establishing a positive rapport with them will be your most productive investment. Nobody apart from them are in a better position to help. You should regularly share your growth chart and reach out in case of academic difficulties. They will be able to discuss effective strategies and skills which you will require to succeed at LSE.

Find like-minded people:  It is very important to find peers who think like you. These individuals should be uplifting, positive, and goal-oriented. Be wary of those who try to bring you down by belittling your ideas and spreading negativity by being obsessively competitive. Nurture friendships that will mentally nourish you with diverse perspectives and encourage you to push your academic limits.

Orient your time outside the university: Do things that make you forget books for a while. It could be anything from a walk at Lincoln’s Inn field to chatting over a drink with a friend at George IV. Studies at LSE, are mentally strenuous, and hence is it important to give yourself some downtime. Try joining societies that interest you, this could also be a great way to meet new people if you don’t get time to socialise.

Your competition is with yourself: This understanding is of paramount importance. It sounds simple, but when it comes to following, many fail. It is about you, never the other person. The actual fight is against your own mental limitations, procrastination and negative habits. Work on outshining yourself every day, not somebody else.

Find inspiration and practice grace: LSE is a space which brings together the best students from all over the world. Instead of being jealous of their achievements, take inspiration from their hard work and discipline. If you lose a competition or score low, accept it with grace. There will be many more opportunities for you to improve in the future.

Sahima

Hey, lovely folks! I’m Sahima from India. At the moment, I am doing my master’s in International Relations from LSE. Most of the time, you will find me reading a book at the nearby cosy library. My favourite pieces of literature include The Great Gatsby, Dubliners and The Kite Runner. If I am not busy studying or debating over International Affairs, then I’ll be binge-watching Friends or The Office.

Posted In: Student life | Student Life: Advice