Brianna

Green Space in London: Park Perks

Brianna

Green Space in London: Park Perks

Although it’s easy to get wrapped up in the fast paced nature of such a big and busy city, one of my favorite parts about London are all of the parks sprinkled throughout the city. Spending time in London’s green spaces helps me de-stress, get plenty of fresh air, and always gives me new areas to explore. Here are some of my favorites:

Hyde Park:Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

When it’s not playing host to Winter Wonderland in the Christmas season, Hyde park is the best place for a picnic, especially if you get a seat next to the pond. Or if you’d rather keep moving, you can rent a paddle boat and enjoy some time on the water. And be sure to keep an eye out for the Prince Albert Memorial and the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain.

Regents ParkRegents Park:

Regent’s Park is my favorite park in London.  It is beautiful during all seasons and is home to the London Zoo.  If I have a particularly long to-do list, I’ll spend the morning at the Hub Café in Regents Park – it is all glass and looks out over fields with London’s skyline looming over the trees.  It’s a great place to get work done without feeling like you’re cooped up in the library!

Lincoln’s Inn Fields:

Need a study break? Fancy a quick walk to get some fresh air between classes? Lincoln’s Inn Fields are right in LSE’s backyard. With tennis courts, benches, and plenty of fresh grass to lay a picnic blanket on, it doesn’t get any easier to enjoy some green space while at LSE.

Hampstead Heath:

Although a little outside central London, this cute little neighborhood is worth visiting! It’s accessible by the tube and the bus, and makes you feel like you’ve escaped the city, even though you can still see the skyline if you walk up enough hills in the park!

Battersea Park:

An up and coming area, Battersea Power Station is getting its own zone 1 tube station.  But until then, a trip to Pimlico and a short walk along the Thames can get you to Battersea Park. With tennis courts, lots of cute dogs being walked, and a view of the river, this hidden gem is one of my newest discoveries in the London Park scene.

Kensington Gardens:Kensington Garden

After exploring Kensington Palace, I’d recommend walking around Kensington Gardens before heading off to the High Street to shop.  The sprawling grounds are kept immaculate and lead right into Hyde Park. With the amount of people and dogs walking around, it’s a great place to people watch. (And be sure to keep an eye out for any Royal Family members that may be going in and out of the palace).

Greenwich Park:

Greenwich is a day trip definitely worth taking. After just a quick trip on the DLR train (still in zone 1!) Greenwich has great spots for lunch, a really cute market, and great views of London from atop Greenwich Park. The Royal Observatory, Royal Naval College, and Queen’s House are also in Greenwich which are bits of London history worth seeing.

St. James’s Park and Green Park are also great options, I just haven’t had the chance to explore them yet, but they are on my to do list!

Brianna

My name is Brianna and I'm currently a master's student studying international social and public policy.

Posted In: London life