Brianna

Things to do along Regent’s Canal

Brianna

Things to do along Regent’s Canal

Regents canal pubOkay so, it may seem a little bit strange to be writing an entire article about the narrow canal that runs through North London. But, as my student housing both now and when I studied in London with my previous university was along Regent’s Canal, I’ve realized all of the hidden gems you can find hidden on the banks of the canal.  Aside from being a great place for a run, you can find everything from bookshops to bars. I’ve narrowed down the list to just a few of my favorite spots:

Regents canal book shopWord on the Water

The only thing better than a used bookstore is a used bookstore on a canal boat, on Regent’s Canal.  Word on the Water sells books from a range of genres and takes donations if you’re looking to recycle your ‘already read’ books into new hands. It sits on Regent’s Canal next to Granary Square behind King’s Cross Station.

Darcie and May Green

Located directly outside Paddington Station is an adorable canal boat lavishly decorated with lights and flowers. This adorable bar has inside and “rooftop” seating and is a great place to grab a drink or small plates in any weather.

Little Venice

After you leave Darcie and May Green, a short 5-minute walk will take you into Little Venice, an area where the canal opens up and breaks off into two directions.  There is the Waterside Café, which is a great place for breakfast or lunch, as well as an ice cream shop that is open (and worth checking out) in the warmer weather.

Camden Market

Although you can get to Camden Market via tube or bus to Camden Town, if you fancy a bit more of a scenic trip, you can take the tube to King’s Cross and walk up the canal starting at Granary Square. Camden Market is my favorite place to get street food and shop around for an afternoon.

Regent’s Park

It’s no surprise that Regent’s Canal runs into Regent’s Park. As one of my favorite outdoor spots in London, Regent’s Park is worth the trip. And again, if you want to take yourself a new route to get there, walk along the canal past Camden Market, and eventually you’ll see an old monkey cage from the ZFL London Zoo and a pathway up into the park.

Brianna

My name is Brianna and I'm currently a master's student studying international social and public policy.

Posted In: London life | Student life