Brianna

July 14th, 2020

Dissertations in the Summer Term

Brianna

July 14th, 2020

Dissertations in the Summer Term

I’ve written a few blogs about my progress on my dissertation throughout my time at LSE. With just one month to go until deadline day, (still can’t believe how time is flying) I like to think that I’m in the last phase of the dissertation process.

Although I’m nearly done, my research focus and ideas still change daily.  The more you research, the more you know – it’s normal to shift directions sometimes. While my overall research question has stayed the same, I continuously work to refine my paper and narrow my focus and examples.

I recently participated in my first LSE Life dissertation café over Zoom and I wish that I had discovered those sessions sooner. It was a productive meeting in which I got feedback on my dissertation from my peers and was able to listen to other students’ dissertation ideas as well. It can be intimidating sharing your unfinished work with others, especially when you think you should be farther along, but constructive feedback is always worth getting.

If I could give myself dissertation advice all the way back in September, I’d say to start early. You’ll hear it from professors and former students, and I did as well, but I still started a bit later than I should have. Your idea will change, and you may find that the research isn’t there to support what you want to do, so it’s important to be flexible.

Also, while it can be hard to talk through initial ideas, take advantage of all of the support LSE provides you – your mentor, peers, professors, and LSE Life. LSE offers so many valuable resources to help you succeed with your dissertation so make good use of them!

Brianna

My name is Brianna and I'm currently a master's student studying international social and public policy.

Posted In: Student life | Study: Masters