Brianna

August 24th, 2020

London by the Seasons

Brianna

August 24th, 2020

London by the Seasons

Now that I’ve been in London for almost an entire year, I’ve had the privilege of experiencing the capital in all of its glory throughout the seasons. From Christmas markets to summer rooftop restaurants, I’m not sure which time of year has been my favourite.

When LSE began mid-September, I couldn’t believe how pretty Lincoln’s Inn Fields looked with all of the red, orange, and brown leaves sprinkling the ground and floating down from the trees. It was still warm-ish at that time, but usually good to have a jumper with you as well.

Around mid-November, the holiday decorations start popping up around London. As an American who celebrates Thanksgiving, it felt way too early to be seeing Christmas lights on Regent’s Street, but I’m not complaining.

You don’t need me to tell you that the holidays in London are worth adding to your bucket list.  Christmas markets, lights, and decorations are pretty much everywhere you look.  One street worth noting: When you’re walking down Regent’s Street to see those lights, make it a point to walk through Carnaby Street. They have a different theme each year and it’s one of the prettiest streets in London at that time.

Then New Year’s Eve comes, and then comes the cold. Make sure you’ve packed your umbrella and warm coats for when you’re commuting to LSE – you’ll need them.

But then it starts to get lighter earlier, and the sun begins to set a little later each night. Once springtime rolls around be sure to get to all of London’s parks – Regent’s Park (personal favourite), Hyde Park, St. James’s Park, or anywhere with blooming flowers and greening trees.

This year, we had an incredible heat wave in London that made being outside in the summer (and unable to travel to beach destinations) a bit more exciting. Had COVID-19 not been living in London with us, there are so many outdoor bars and restaurants to enjoy the weather with. But to be socially distant and safe, I stuck to picnics in the park – another great hot day activity.

If I’ve learned one thing about and English summer it is to enjoy the warm weather when it comes around, it doesn’t often stay long.

This post was written in late August 2020. Please consult the UK government website for the latest coronavirus guidance.

Brianna

My name is Brianna and I'm currently a master's student studying international social and public policy.

Posted In: London life