Anisa Zaman

May 25th, 2021

What I Have Learned This Year

Anisa Zaman

May 25th, 2021

What I Have Learned This Year

Whilst this year has been incredibly, incredibly difficult for everyone, it has also been a year of growth and development for me. I never expected my first year at university to be during a pandemic, but I have tried to not let that deter me from enjoying my degree and developing myself. Here are three things that I have learned this year socially, academically and professionally:

Socially

I think this year has impacted everyone’s social lives. With me not living in halls and then classes being held online due to COVID-19, I’ve found it a bit harder to meet others in my department and those studying different degrees to mine. This has made me even more determined to put more of an effort to get out there and socialise this summer and next year, hopefully using some of the incredible events put together by LSE LIFE!

Academically

Although I’ve known that I love studying geography for a long time now, it was not until studying it at LSE that I realised how broad a discipline it is, and how much I have enjoyed learning about so many new concepts, from economic geography to political geography. My time studying has also introduced me to new thoughts, helping me to develop by ideas and opinions!

Professionally

Whilst there may not have been any face-to-face networking this year, LSE Careers were absolutely fantastic in putting together events introducing us to specific careers, alumni, as well as developing our networking skills. For me, that of course leads to the power LinkedIn has had in my life the last few months. I did have LinkedIn prior to university but only used it when others sent me a request to connect. Via all the online networking events, I was able to learn how to use LinkedIn to stay in contact with alumni and those with career interests similar to mine. LinkedIn allowed me to follow those I find inspirational as well as helping me find an internship for this summer!

Anisa Zaman

A first year BA Geography student, interested in geopolitics and contemporary fiction.

Posted In: #stillPartofLSE