Grant Golub

July 8th, 2021

LSE Summer School: Your View on London and the World

Grant Golub

July 8th, 2021

Now that the summer is here, that means LSE Summer School is now in session! After being forced to cancel last year due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, LSE has brought back Summer School in a new and improved way. For 2021, there are two options you can undertake if you want to participate in Summer School: blended learning and remote learning. If you pursue the blended option, you’ll have a mix of in-person and online learning, where most of the course will be delivered through in-person teaching; the remote route is a fully online experience. Either way, you’re getting the same content.

When I was an undergraduate, I decided to take two LSE Summer School courses after my first year. I had been to the UK once when I was 12, but that had been seven years before. It was also my first time traveling outside the United States, my home country, by myself, so I was very nervous. However, right when I arrived in London, LSE made me feel right at home. From there, I had a wonderful experience deeply immersing myself in both the School and London life.

One of the best things about LSE Summer School is that you get the best of both of the School and London in a short amount of time. For folks who are coming from other universities, especially outside the UK, it is a great introduction to what it is like to be a LSE student or to live in London. There’s also so many opportunities to explore the city and the UK more broadly. During my time at Summer School, I travelled all over London trying to see as much as possible. Nearly every day I tried to see a different part of the city; while several weeks isn’t enough to really get a feel (or maybe it is depending on the person), I felt like I was really seeing what London was all about. I also travelled to some other places in the UK over the weekends, including Northern Ireland!

This summer, I’ll be on the other side of the equation and will be teaching Summer School. I am so excited for this and never thought I would be teaching it when I was a Summer School Student in 2014. I think it’s going to be an excellent experience and I’m excited to be working with some bright and wonderful students!

Find out more information on LSE Summer School online and chat to a Summer School Ambassador to hear what it’s like and what’s available.

Grant Golub

My name is Grant Golub and I'm a PhD candidate in the Department of International History at LSE. My research focuses on US foreign relations and grand strategy, diplomatic history, and Anglo-American relations.

Posted In: #stillPartofLSE | Student life | Study: Masters | Study: PhD | Study: Undergraduate