Sofia Gerace

How I Coped with Five Quarantines During 2021

Sofia Gerace

After having to isolate once again during last year, I realised that during 2021 I spent over a month quarantining inside my room. I had to quarantine when travelling for my studies and when my flatmates got COVID during my final year at university, and once again after I tested positive myself. Spending over a month isolating in my room bolstered my mental resilience and taught me how to cope with these difficult times. If you are quarantining right now, here is my advice on how to survive these difficult days.

Calling your Friends

I believe that calling your friends is a good way to cope with isolation. It does not matter if they are quarantining as well or if they live in another country: do spend some time sharing your feelings with them. They will probably have some stories to share with you and, in the end, time will pass quicker than you expect! You could even organise some online games to have some fun together during a video call. I know that talking over the phone is not quite the same as talking in person, but it really helps!

Be Creative

During my quarantines, I had people coming in front of my window just to say hello and have a chat through the glass. For example, my flatmates would spend some time on the balcony facing my room to have a chat with me. Of course, the situation is not ideal but it’s better than not talking to anyone at all!

Have a Routine

I know having a routine is difficult and the first days are the most difficult because you will feel like lying in bed all day. However, I must say that getting up, getting dressed, and having a plan with things to do like studying, reading, and watching films will give a structure to your day. It will be easier then to cope with the fact that you are stuck in your room and being productive will make your mind feel better!

Do Ask for Help

If you are struggling, LSE is always there to help you. You can reach out to your academic mentor or to the mental health and wellbeing services of the university. You can also contact LSE Trace and ask what resources are available for you during your quarantine! Do not hesitate to ask for help because those services are there for you!

Hopefully my advice will make your quarantine easier! Stay strong, you will get there!

This post was written in December 2021. See here for the latest UK government guidance on coronavirus. Find out more on LSE’s response to coronavirus here.

Sofia Gerace

I'm Sofia, an italian student at the LSE. Apart from being passionate about my MSc in Political Economy of Europe, I enjoy learning foreign languages, visiting new countries, and writing stories about my life as international student.

Posted In: #stillPartofLSE